Leaf blower OCI w/ small capacity

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Troy Bilt TB4 blower that has a 3 oz oil capacity. The manual states oil changes at 40 hrs which seems super long to me given the small amount of oil, especially using it in a hot climate. I've been doing short OCI's at about 10 hours in an effort to get some internal cleaning done (the first oil change WAY overdue and the oil came out black as coal and very thick) but eventually I'll go back to a "normal" OCI but I doubt it'll be anywhere near 40 hrs, that just seems to be asking a lot of 3 oz of oil.

FWIW I run whatever oil I have spare, typically a 5w30 PU or 15w40 Rotella. And yes I realize for the price of 3 oz of oil and 5 minutes of time there's no reason to feel like I have to stretch the interval out. I'm more curious than anything with these low capacity blowers and such, what can you really expect?

I personally would not have gotten a 4 stroke leaf blower, especially a Troy Built (MTD).

I worked at Lowes one year and we used a Troy Built for awhile to cleanup outside. If I remember correctly, the air filter was a cheezy little thing that could easily fall off and get lost.

After it seized we pulled a Husqavarna from stock and never had an issue.

it sounds like you use yours commercially? I agree with your reasoning and would change it in the 10-20 hour range. Their target customer likely only puts less than 10 hours a year on one anyway - and many probably never change the oil. when the carb clogs up or the oil runs out, they will buy a new one!

No doubt there are plenty of better options out there but actually this one's been a good performer for me, I've used it a ton for about 6 years and it's been rock solid, still starts first pull almost every time, burns no oil, never had a moment's trouble with it. The air filter is definitely cheezy though, a thin foam band and that's it. The first few years I totally neglected it, did zero maintenance, I finally got around to changing the oil, cleaned the air filter (amazingly the intake was still clean), adjusted the valves a bit, cleaned the spark arrestor, checked the plug (gap was still good), and it still runs like new. As I said, I'm still doing short OCI's as a result of my prior neglect, hence my curiosity for this post.

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
it sounds like you use yours commercially? I agree with your reasoning and would change it in the 10-20 hour range. Their target customer likely only puts less than 10 hours a year on one anyway - and many probably never change the oil. when the carb clogs up or the oil runs out, they will buy a new one!

Actually not commercially, I just do my own home and sometimes my rental so I use it every weekend year round, I do like 2 hrs a month I'm guessing. Plus I use it for my redneck blow dryer for when I wash my motorcycles. LOL If it died tomorrow I'd have gotten my money out of it but regardless I try to maintain my stuff.

I like how the OP talks about the oil capacity in his 4 stroke leaf blower and the next few comments talk about how he should've gotten a different one. Jeez.
crazy.gif
He never asked what the best leaf blower is or what everyone thinks he should've gotten...

Personally, I'd use a HDEO like Rotella 15w40 or T6 5w40. I've seen many owners get long life out of them using HDEO's even with the cheap brands and even with commercial use. If you use it just around your own property I'd say changing it every 40 hours or once a season is perfectly fine.

I'd choose an OCI based on your results. As soon as the oil gets dirty, change it. That will probably be just a few hours use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back