Lead Carbon Batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's from a lead consortium.

Best practice is to have BMS on lead batteries just like Li, so no savings there. Ventilation is more likely needed for lead. The volumetric and gravimetric penalties are mentioned, but not discussed enough, and, lifecycle for both cycle and shelf life are not discussed sufficiently.

As an option for start-stop, I get it. And that's really where they are pushing it. For terrestrial use IF depth of discharge is really low and footprint is a non issue, maybe, but even then, some of the metal halide and other options then come into play with far higher coulombic efficiency and still better density and cycle life.

The market will pick the winner. Hype will give way to reality and the winner will surface. It's a pretty big market out there and also-ran technology won't stand up for long.

I hope something comes up to win the market but I'm tired of hearing some people say that electric vehicles are the answer because they don't pollute. There's 2 problems here. The batteries have to come from somewhere and so does the electricity and they both pollute.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Isn't every vested interest touting their own technology as the simplest, most correct answer ?

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Isn't every vested interest touting their own technology as the simplest, most correct answer ?

Nope. I see the Li-ion guys who have actual engineering groups demanding BMS, balancing, safety systems, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back