Le tour de France

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are any of you watching it on TV ? 21 stages in 23 days, 198 riders, narrow roads at times. I marvel of the stamina of the athletes to complete this challenge. I don't know how they do it day after day. Beautiful overhead scenery shots from the helicopter. Monday's stage was 217.5 km and resulted in a photo finish won by less than 5cm. ( 2" )

Yes. Quite amazing athletes. Even if they are all doping, it still amazes me that the human body can accomplish those kinds of feats.

This is more my speed:

http://tourdedonut.org/

Thirty four mile timed race with two donut stops. Five minute time deduction for every donut consumed
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: hatt
For sure watching. I even forked over the $30 for NBCSportsGold.

Same here, and I even get their GRC (Global Rallycross) coverage as a bonus!
thumbsup2.gif

I just wish that they would cover the Olympic (AND World Championship) TRACK cycling events as WELL/thoroughly as they do the Tour.
frown.gif

Also, NOT every single one of them are doping, but yes, even if they were (and YES it IS cheating BADLY), those bikes STILL DO NOT pedal themselves!
31.gif

At this point, it would actually take alien technology to develop the masking agents capable of covering up EPO/HGH/anabolic steroids/blood packing, etc. use, given the intensity of the testing/tracking of samples which is currently employed.

It's cool to see the Cavendish/Renfrew 'team sprint' back in gear!!
thumbsup2.gif

Greipel is built bigger than a track match sprinter, and I don't see HOW he drags all of that heavy muscle mass over those beyond category mountaintops, at ANY speed, AT ALL!

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

thumbsup2.gif

I just wish that they would cover the Olympic (AND World Championship) TRACK cycling events as WELL/thoroughly as they do the Tour.
frown.gif

Also, NOT every single one of them are doping, but yes, even if they were (and YES it IS cheating BADLY), those bikes STILL DO NOT pedal themselves!
31.gif

At this point, it would actually take alien technology to develop the masking agents capable of covering up EPO/HGH/anabolic steroids/blood packing, etc. use, given the intensity of the testing/tracking of samples which is currently employed.
The coverage really is exceptional when you consider the event venue each day is hundreds of kilometers in size in all sorts of terrain.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

thumbsup2.gif

frown.gif

31.gif

Yet in 2015 nearly 20% of participants tested positive for PED's. It will be "discovered" down the line the percentage is higher due to new PED's are not currently detected in testing.

Cycling needs to do like bodybuilding. Just accept that everyone is doing it. That way it's fair.

Last edited:
Tour de France is one of the most stamina challenging an athlete can face. Most of the cyclists lost 10-15 lbs at the end of the event, even they have very good nutritionist on the tour with them.

Cycling needs to do like bodybuilding. Just accept that everyone is doing it. That way it's fair.

Or have a non-PED and PED division.

Originally Posted By: dave1251

Or have a non-PED and PED division.
No one is interested in the clean body builders. Those dudes are tiny. No one will care about clean and slow cyclists.

No one is interested in the clean body builders. Those dudes are tiny. No one will care about clean and slow cyclists.

I don't get the point. Sorry. It is due to this.
The only people that I know of whom care about Le Tour De France are the people who believe it is clean.

Originally Posted By: dave1251

I don't get the point. Sorry. It is due to this.
The only people that I know of whom care about Le Tour De France are the people who believe it is clean.
The point is that someone is always going to figure out how to game the system in these sports. The people following the rules have no chance. The people that think TDF is clean are delusional. I remember dealing with them in the Lance days. They couldn't seem to grasp the concept that in a sport that's rampant with "cheating," it's impossible for a guy that's clean to not only compete but totally dominant the sport. A complete fairy tale. Common sense dictated that he must have been leading the way in figuring out how to cheat, which was shown to be true. Cheating being a poor choice of words since most everyone is/was doing it. In something like the TDF the tiniest bit of advantage is going to play out huge. People are going to find an angle. Goodness, this year they trying to find tiny motors that could be placed inside a bike.

Last edited:
FWIW, I knew Armstrong was cheating because I had the same cancer he had. The chemo does a number on your aerobic capacity. You don't come back with more ability after that treatment.

It's fairly universal. Look up the side effects of Cisplatin, Etoposide and Bleomycin, the most common cocktail of drugs for testicular cancer.

It may have to come to this, since the UCI, WADA, and the Pro Tour organizers probably will never be able to keep up with the many new PEDs and masking agents constantly being developed (so I rescind my earlier statement).

But I also stand by that this sport, especially at THIS level, is STILL one of the hardest things physically that a human being can do, EVEN WITH THE USE/HELP OF VARIOUS PEDs.
wink.gif

Goodness, this year they trying to find tiny motors that could be placed inside a bike.

Cancellara was suspected of this when he won Paris-Roubaix a few years ago.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: javacontour
FWIW, I knew Armstrong was cheating because I had the same cancer he had. The chemo does a number on your aerobic capacity. You don't come back with more ability after that treatment.

It's fairly universal. Look up the side effects of Cisplatin, Etoposide and Bleomycin, the most common cocktail of drugs for testicular cancer.

Ironically, I am sure that he was also treated with EPO, one of the drugs he was accused of using for performance gain, once that cancer spread to his lungs.

Status
Not open for further replies.