LCA Bushings

How do these look? I am thinking they have a few more years left, but the car feels loose on the highway, needing random (but small) corrections. Not noticeable on backroads, only on the highway at speed. Wife says that seems to be the norm for this car now, to feel loose and "not new". Vehicle is an '11 Camry with about 225k on the clock, basically all original underneath.

It appears that I need to have the tires balanced also; since it will need an alignment I am thinking to just let a shop do all three things (bushings, alignment, balance). Wife puts 25k/year onto this car, so I'm ok with the extra coin for better parts, but should I ask for OEM bushings?

lca_bushings.jpg

I'd go with poly bushings for the big back bushing. The front bushing rarely wears out and can be left alone after inspection.

AST/PSB/Siberian/... make excellent 'big bushings' for Toyota.

At that mileage point, and since control arm needs to be removed, I'd also use OE or equivalent new balljoints.

Better start spraying all nuts/bolts around the control and motor mounts with penetrating oil, and repeat several times prior to dropping it off at the shop.

Looks like they can stand to be replaced. OEM bushing would be what I would use based on everything I’ve seen posted here. At work we just use parts store bushings we haven’t had any return but I don’t know how good they really are. Maybe try silicone spray first and see if that helps anything. Make sure if you do request the OEM bushings then you use an honest shop the place I used to work before the dealership and before this independent would tell the customer they used them but really use cheap junk.

Aftermarket options for control arms are better than they used to be. If I was to pick a quality aftermarket for that Camry it would be beck arnley. That was the only mount my 02 Camry would not destroy. Interesting that control arm looks the same as it did in 2002.

What is the condition of the horizontal bushing?

That vertical bushing looks okay. Not fantastic, but would not explain the issues you are describing.

I’d replace, but just get new control arms with ball joints too. Are you wanting to press those out yourself or a shop?

That’s a good long run, my Camry had the control arms replaced around 120k I think from the previous owner, and I had them replaced around 235k miles.

I’d replace, but just get new control arms with ball joints too. Are you wanting to press those out yourself or a shop?

That’s a good long run, my Camry had the control arms replaced around 120k I think from the previous owner, and I had them replaced around 235k miles.
Those Toyota control arms are not a good candidate for new bushings, IMO. Although, I have replaced a few sets with the Moog spherical bushings with good results.

My main concern is that the control arm consists of separate pieces are welded together. In other words, the cavity where the vertical bushing resides is actually hollow. When you press a bushing in/out, the two pieces of the control arm will deform and I *think* that deformity is what secures the bushing. It just seems a little sketchy to me.

Candidate for replacement. The fun way is to burn them out. The practical way is to replace the entire arm and move on with life.

OEM bushings not necessary. OEM control arm not necessary. Get Moog and you'll be fine.

That's if the bushing is available from the dealership separately from the control arm.

But, I rather pay a little extra for the complete replacement of the control arm with the bushings already in there, as the cost balances itself out with the labor for pressing in and out new bushings (and hope the tech doesn't screw it up).

I did not think to look at the other bushing, as I thought they usually didn't wear nearly as fast.

I do like the idea of just replacing the arms, then taking it in for alignment & balance. I swapped arms on the other Camry, it wasn't that bad (I went cheap and used Duralasts there, but as my driver I'm ok with gambling with my own life).

I suppose I could figure out how to jack the car up and put onto cribbing, then crawl around underneath, looking for whatever is loose. It passes inspection so I don't think it's related to balljoints or the like.

I did not think to look at the other bushing, as I thought they usually didn't wear nearly as fast.
They usually don't, but there are exceptions. And that bushing, if worn, probably has a greater impact on stability than the vertical one. The vertical one is more of a compliance bushing.

I have used the Moog RK line of control arms for this application and they were made in taiwan:

The bushings are slightly harder though and seem to have affected the NVH qualities.

It's time for new struts and a thorough front end inspection for free play.
The car has to pass safety inspection every year, so I'd be shocked if it had any play, that one could feel--that's what the inspection is looking for.

If I throw struts at it, where would the parts cannon stop? I mean, at this age, maybe it could be argued it could use calipers, hoses and every suspension bushing, along with struts. Maybe that's only a couple grand to have a shop replace all? The car isn't worth that much more than that, but a couple grand for another year or two isn't that bad--I'd prefer to save it and send it down the road utterly worn out, but sometimes that isn't possible.

Okay, I didn't know the car receives yearly inspections. If the front end is in fact okay, struts would help the car not feel so "loose". Struts degrade gradually so the deterioration sometimes goes unnoticed. I could certainly feel the difference in my Toyotas when the struts were due, because I keep my cars a long time until the rust gets them. You could just live with it, like I'm doing with my current vehicles.

The car has to pass safety inspection every year, so I'd be shocked if it had any play, that one could feel--that's what the inspection is looking for.

If I throw struts at it, where would the parts cannon stop? I mean, at this age, maybe it could be argued it could use calipers, hoses and every suspension bushing, along with struts. Maybe that's only a couple grand to have a shop replace all? The car isn't worth that much more than that, but a couple grand for another year or two isn't that bad--I'd prefer to save it and send it down the road utterly worn out, but sometimes that isn't possible.
Putting struts on isn't firing the parts cannon, it's a miracle they lasted that long. I tip my hat to Toyota for making them that great. Calipers and hoses aren't wear items so nothing to worry about there.

After 225k miles new struts and control arms to tighten things back up and make the front end good for another 150k miles sounds great.

The parts cannon is what the dealer did to my Genesis last fall, $5,000 for 8 new control arms up front. Extended warranty of course.

I got the chance to drive it on the highway today, it's really only at 70 and up that it does funny things. Last time I drove it, it had the snows and that I think contributed to wandering. It still feels loose. The tire balance issue, that I think is struts: depending upon speed it's either the front end, rear end or both.

I'm inclined to ignore it until it gets worse. She really wants a green car. Save the money, buy something new in a few years (hopefully, we tend to make sudden vehicle changes).

Back