LC20 Dosage Alternatives?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been using LC20 now for a few oil changes, and I've followed their directions and put in 1 oz for each quart, etc., but I've been wondering about severe cases. A friend of mine has a VW with 67k miles that's using a good amount of oil. We've put in AutoRX for now, and we'll see if that works, but I was wondering what LC20 might do. Has anyone tried a higher dosage than recommended to good effect?

Best,

ET16

First off, finish the complete cycle of Auto-Rx before starting in with the LC20. Be sure that you don't use a PAO or ester-containing oil with ARX. I have used elevated levels of LC20 and it may or may not have had much cleaning effect. I know the ARX cleaned a bunch due to the improvements felt and seen, but the LC20 may have done some residual cleaning also at 2-3 oz per qt. The Auto-Rx reduced oil consumption and smoking and increased compression, felt in the marked increase in power on several high mileage cars I have treated.

Originally Posted By: bmwtechguy
First off, finish the complete cycle of Auto-Rx before starting in with the LC20. Be sure that you don't use a PAO or ester-containing oil with ARX. I have used elevated levels of LC20 and it may or may not have had much cleaning effect. I know the ARX cleaned a bunch due to the improvements felt and seen, but the LC20 may have done some residual cleaning also at 2-3 oz per qt. The Auto-Rx reduced oil consumption and smoking and increased compression, felt in the marked increase in power on several high mileage cars I have treated.

No esters or PAO? Really?

With Auto-Rx, definitely NO esters or PAO. It WILL work better with dino, that is my experience with both the treatment and rinse phases. YMMV.

As for LC20, it is a great antioxidant and also a good CF reducer; my experience has shown it to remove varnish as well. I usually run about two ounces per quart initially, then top it off every 1,000 miles with about an ounce-and-a-half or so. Not to be used concurrently with ARX though.

Last edited:
I recall reading somewhere on this site that someone had tried LC20 during the final rinse phase of A-Rx and was pleased with the results. I'm not good with this site's search function. Perhaps someone else read it, or can locate it.

AD

I actually asked that very question about using LC20 in an ARX rinse phase and was led away from doing such. Yeah, my thoughts were that LC20 would enhance the rinsing.

The VW in question is a 2000 Jetta with 2.0. It seems to be consuming about a quart a week. It may have some other problem, pcv or mechanical.

Thanks for all your replies.

I think I'll run the course with AutoRX and try a 2 oz per quart dosage after the rinse phase.

Terry also did some testing with both products used at the same time. I can't exactly remember but I think the results were favorable in his opinion.

I recall that years ago also (not to mix), but then I seem to remember he started testing both products being used at once. This was right before he left BITOG.

Man, how I wish he was still around.

I have mixed a few times from a what I was told (and told it was fine)..It is off the record too.:)

Originally Posted By: ET16
The VW in question is a 2000 Jetta with 2.0. It seems to be consuming about a quart a week. It may have some other problem, pcv or mechanical.

Thanks for all your replies.

I think I'll run the course with AutoRX and try a 2 oz per quart dosage after the rinse phase.

[censored]...my wifes 97 Jetta 2.0L doesnt use any oil. Ive used 0W30, 5W30 and now 10W40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back