LC20 and FP60 no longer in vogue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My FP Plus bottle has been in the garage around 2 years, up off the floor, and is very shrunked/caved in. My only concern is that the FP Plus is solubizing plastic compounds which I don't want in my engine. Possible?

Originally Posted By: JAG
My FP Plus bottle has been in the garage around 2 years, up off the floor, and is very shrunked/caved in. My only concern is that the FP Plus is solubizing plastic compounds which I don't want in my engine. Possible?

I'd be concerned too. When a product attacks plastic in the container is the product being chemically compromised as a result? A strong solvent will attack plastic, are there any solvents in this product?

Im not seeing any reason to believe that the FP Plus is solving the plastic or attacking it/reacting with it. Rather, I think it is diffusing out due to high volatility, which makes the bottle shrink in the net result.

A couple of questions for LCD might be:

1. Does the vapor pressure affect an observed "suck-in" of the bottles,

2. Do any of the compounds dissolve or interact with the High Density Polyehtylene in the bottle material?

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
A couple of questions for LCD might be:

1. Does the vapor pressure affect an observed "suck-in" of the bottles,

2. Do any of the compounds dissolve or interact with the High Density Polyehtylene in the bottle material?

I'd like to know the answer to # 2. (but for their LC20 product) as well.

My gallon HDPE bottles of LC20 were definitely NOT "sucked in", but were actually melting/dissolving/getting VERY soft over a long time period.
When I transferred some of the LC20 over to some (probably) even less stout small plastic bottles (#3 HDPE maybe?? they were the smaller MMO and blue colored Lube Gard Bio-Tech bottles) it actually ate clear on through them and leaked out of them!!
crazy2.gif

The only thing I felt safe storing this stuff in was GLASS jars/bottles (mainly empty maple syrup bottles).
wink.gif

I purchased four 1/2 gallon glass bottle that I store my FP plus in. The I transfer from the glass to a smaller container for current use. You can buy nice glass containers at seattlebottle company dot com.

Last edited:
What do the tops look like? Easy to dose? Plastic bottles are nice because tey can be squeezed out in a directed fashion.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
What do the tops look like? Easy to dose? Plastic bottles are nice because tey can be squeezed out in a directed fashion.

That's the strangest thing, the 1 pint(?) measuring squeeze bottle you can get from LCD NEVER; melts, gets soft, caves-in, or dissolves, no matter which of their products are in it, nor for how long a period of time they are in it!
21.gif

I even think the number in the triangle for the HDPE grade on the bottom is the same as their gallon bottles, making it stranger yet.
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

That's the strangest thing, the 1 pint(?) measuring squeeze bottle you can get from LCD NEVER; melts, gets soft, caves-in, or dissolves, no matter which of their products are in it, nor for how long a period of time they are in it!
21.gif

I even think the number in the triangle for the HDPE grade on the bottom is the same as their gallon bottles, making it stranger yet.
crazy2.gif

On the contrary, mine caved in with FP3000 in it.

Never melted or softened though. Good bottles.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

21.gif

crazy2.gif

On the contrary, mine caved in with FP3000 in it.

Never melted or softened though. Good bottles.

I've ONLY had FP+ and LC20 in my LCD squeeze bottle.

Both my FP60 and LC20 gallon jugs have held up over the years. The same can be said about the squeeze they supply, no problems. The gallon jugs are stored on a garage floor.

Whimsey

Does the fact that FP plus "sucks in" the bottles that it is present in (including LCD-provided bottles) indicate any storage issues over the long run and/or volatility of specific compounds that may prove to reduce the efficacy for product that sits and is not used for a long time?

When I bought it in the quart size, I never had any "suck in" problem. Not sure what the material was in the quart bottle. The gallon bottle I just received was slightly sucked in upon receipt.

Does the fact that FP plus "sucks in" the bottles that it is present in (including LCD-provided bottles) indicate any storage issues over the long run and/or volatility of specific compounds that may prove to reduce the efficacy for product that sits and is not used for a long time?

Makes sense to me.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Quote:
Mola...so you'd recommend the FP Plus over the FP60?

Yes I would, for both gas and diesels.

I posted in the other post about the oil additive but suffice it to say this product is well worth it for my application. Thanks for your posts which provided the impetus for the purchases of the oil and fuel products. Very satisfying.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2922886&page=2

Last edited:
Been using these products since my post(s). Oil stays clean and engine runs well. Fuel system is healthy also. Car runs superbly well.

A question arose from some colleagues about the effect of the fuel system cleaner on o-rings; specifically swelling or deterioration. I soaked some o-rings in a 100% solution and have not seen any deleterious effects. I thought that might simulate along term usage. I measured them with a micrometer and the swell was within the specifications for the compound - negliable at best. My sense is the bio-based composition of the fuel additive is not as harsh as a petrol-based solvent and dissolves varnish in a non intrusive manner. I should add that soaking the same o-rings in these more harsh solvents did have a negative impact on the pliability of the o-rings albeit at concentrations not seen in recommended doses.

Molecule, I'll defer to you on this one.

Last edited:
I put some polyethylene-polyamine (teta) dissolved in ethanol on an old Stp fuel injector cleaner (black bottle) and it got really, really, soft... drained the liquid out and it became stiff again, after a month. It deformed a little.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: keesue
Been using these products since my post(s). Oil stays clean and engine runs well. Fuel system is healthy also. Car runs superbly well.

A question arose from some colleagues about the effect of the fuel system cleaner on o-rings; specifically swelling or deterioration. I soaked some o-rings in a 100% solution and have not seen any deleterious effects. I thought that might simulate along term usage. I measured them with a micrometer and the swell was within the specifications for the compound - negliable at best. My sense is the bio-based composition of the fuel additive is not as harsh as a petrol-based solvent and dissolves varnish in a non intrusive manner. I should add that soaking the same o-rings in these more harsh solvents did have a negative impact on the pliability of the o-rings albeit at concentrations not seen in recommended doses.

Molecule, I'll defer to you on this one.

Thanks Keesue.

Since the FPPLUS has no M.E.K.'s or other ketones, there is no effect on the various elastomers in a fuel system.

In my view, any fuel system cleaner such as Berryman's B-12 or similar that contains Acetones or M.E.K.'s should be used with caution and only at the recommended dosage.

FPPLUS has three cleaners in the mix, one of which is a bio-ester. It also contains a fuel atomizer for increased combustion efficiency.

As to LC20, it is an engine cleaner, but in my view is not needed on a regular basis with modern engine oils. It is especially effective as a piston crown and ring cleaner (with a piston soak) and is good for use in sludged engines.

DISCLAIMER: MolaKule has no current business links with LCD, Inc. The above statement is not an endorsement nor a criticism of LCD products.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back