LC Piston Soak?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was pondering usages for LC and this came across my mind. Would it be posible to put an amount of LC into the cylinders of an engine through the spark plug holes and allow this to soak say overnight to clean the rings from the top(for the purpose of reducing blow by)? The saturn crowd has long used MMO to do this, but LC seems like it might work better.

--Matt

Molakule has discussed this before. Do a search on LC piston soak.
smile.gif

I've tried this, but I didn't get the piston level, so I think it cleaned one side but not the other. It did seem to make a difference, but its always hard to know for sure.

And the center of my pistons are still carboned up, so I'll probably give this a try again sometime.

-Ian

I would only go to the trouble if I observed thick layers of carbon buildup on the pistons and suspect spark knock or pinging resulting from carbon build-up.

If this is a "V-" engine, bottom each piston one at a time, and fill to the spark plug hole and let soak. It might get messy after rotating the crankshaft for the other pistons, but a I always use an external engine cleaner after this procedure anyway.

As usual, always make sure the LC has had time to soak past the rings and leave the oil drain plug out (oil tub underneath) while doing this.

[ October 25, 2004, 01:08 AM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

I can't see any metal on the top of the pistons, so I'm assuming that would be considered thick carbon? On the positive side, the FP has cleaned off my intake valves nicely.

My engine is a VW 1.8T, but its mounted at about a 15 degree angle.

-Ian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back