Lawnmower score

Picked up a running Honda HRR2164TDA today on Marketplace for $20. Manufactured sometime around 2007 I believe. It had barely any oil in it and a very old worn out Torch spark plug. The self-propelled feature doesn't work which is actually fine because it's just for my son to use and I'd actually rather not have him use that feature. I think it's safer for him to just push. Went ahead and removed the belt, changed oil, new NGK spark plug, and air filter. I already had all the stuff I needed as I keep spares around for my other Honda stuff. Deck was already pretty clean and the blade was in good shape. Not certain but I think the deck is aluminum. Runs like new and seems like it has plenty of life left. I figure if he breaks this one, I don't care. He was pretty happy to cut a few rows with it today.

Picked up a running Honda HRR2164TDA today on Marketplace for $20. Manufactured sometime around 2007 I believe. It had barely any oil in it and a very old worn out Torch spark plug. The self-propelled feature doesn't work which is actually fine because it's just for my son to use and I'd actually rather not have him use that feature. I think it's safer for him to just push. Went ahead and removed the belt, changed oil, new NGK spark plug, and air filter. I already had all the stuff I needed as I keep spares around for my other Honda stuff. Deck was already pretty clean and the blade was in good shape. Not certain but I think the deck is aluminum. Runs like new and seems like it has plenty of life left. I figure if he breaks this one, I don't care. He was pretty happy to cut a few rows with it today.

I'm also not certain, but I believe a lot of the cast mower decks are made of magnesium.

Enjoy your Honda because Honda is finished with OPE.
Yeah, I heard about that. To some degree it makes sense to me. When you can buy a cheaper mower that still has a Honda engine on it, I'm sure many customers choose not to spend the extra money on the Honda brand machine.

That’s a magnesium deck - great machine - I owned one which disappeared in a divorce. Lawnmower was simply a well-optimized machine - did the job easily and with class, if a mower can do such a thing.

I'm also not certain, but I believe a lot of the cast mower decks are made of magnesium.
That’s a magnesium deck - great machine - I owned one which disappeared in a divorce. Lawnmower was simply a well-optimized machine - did the job easily and with class, if a mower can do such a thing.
Honda never manufactured a mower deck made out of magnesium. Only steel, aluminum alloy, and polymer (Xenoy and Nexite).
The last manufacturers that used magnesium decks were Lawnboy (M-Series, D-Series and older) and Stihl (not sold in the US).

Take a moment and gap the magneto to .020 ~ .025 instead of the recommended .015". Being very low on oil will no doubt have worn the upper crank bearing journal. Doing this will prevent the flywheel from ripping the magneto clean from the engine block later on.

These engines are surpirzingly bullet proof minus the upper crank journal. And if only the oil was maintain these would almost never wear out despite their rather inexpensive construction.

Back