Lawnmower Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whats everyone using for lawnmower oil? I just realized that a push mowers engine design may require a special formula. I changed mine out early this spring and put in some Valvoline Synpower. No problems at all. But I'm thinking a simple design like that ont a Briggs may have a special oil need.

Mainly Delo 400 HDEO. I'll also mix some VSOT or MMO on occasion.

Amsoil 4-Stroke 10w30 Synthetic made for these engines. Works great. I run it for 100 hours in my JD lawn tractor before changing and it still comes out clean looking. (Anecdotal of course)

Also use it in the snow-blower and the push-mower.

silly me, I simply use plain old 30W oil. dino. I bought a full case a few years back and am stilling tapping off of that. generally you will have less oil consumption with straight 30W oil. now, for my snowblower I run synthetic 5W-30

Originally Posted By: bustednutz
Whats everyone using for lawnmower oil?

Just in case you missed it, we actually have a lawnmower subforum here:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=14&page=1

where the subject has been discussed quite a few times. FYI, I'll be using Pennzoil HD30 in mine (B&S engine).

By the way, this is what B&S recommends:

B_and_S_oil_spec.png

These will run on anything. I have a junk 93 B&S Classic I use for breaking up sticks and large fallen branches. I ran out of 30WT so I have been using Bar and chain lube we had left over in the shed. It has been running all season on it perfectly fine, with the exception of the crankshaft clunks at the bottom 35 degrees of travel, and the piston doesn't move during that period. When running almost sounds like valvetrain clatter, but its not. I don't really care, it runs, if it dies, I'll do it the hard way.

I just use whatever is in my left over "top off" oil jug. Mainly 5W-30 or 10W-30. Of course my riding mower gets less than 10 hours a season so I am not worried about oil consumption.

Castrol 30HD in our 1997 Lawnboy with a commercial Briggs & Stratton 6HP OHV engine.

Actually briggs oil is good stuff according to a VOA on here, good tip of adds.

myself i use u use Amsoil ACD 30w @100hrs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back