Lawnmower Blades for Summer and Fall

Does anyone use a different Lawnmower Blade for summer and fall ? I see they make a 3 in 1 blade ....how well do they work . I tend to let my grass get long . I have 21" Troy Bilt with a B&S 190 cc that I use for Mulching ..... no side discharge or bagging .

Last edited:
Does anyone use a different Lawnmower Blade for summer and fall ? I see they make a 3 in 1 blade ....how well do they work . I tend to let my grass get long .
Tell us what mower you have.
A 3 in 1 blade doesn’t generally do anything well.
I use high lift blades and side discharge in spring and summer.
After the leaves fall, I go to a Oregon Gator or OE Gravely mulching blade. I will use those same blades for the first spring mowing.

I updated the original
In that case buy the OE or equivalent mulching blade. Going to a thicker blade, like a Gator style, isn’t going to be of any benefit. They are heavier and designed for side discharge.

Last edited:
I use gator blades fall and first few mows of spring. Then I go to the regular blades. The gators cit a bit lower and not as smooth and can leave a few clumps from collecting grass on the discharge chute. Sometimes with the gators, I bungee the discharge chute up for better grass discharge.

In that case buy the OE or equivalent mulching blade. Going to a thicker blade, like a Gator style, isn’t going to be of any benefit. They are heavier and designed for side discharge.
Maybe I'll side discharge with the blade I have and see how that works . The side discharge is spring loaded so maybe I'll use a bungee to keep it open or take it off ?

Maybe I'll side discharge with the blade I have and see how that works . The side discharge is spring loaded so maybe I'll use a bungee to keep it open or take it off ?
I drilled a small hole in mine, to attach a bungee. I don't have close neighbors, if you do,.you might not want to do this, as sticks, rocks, sweet gum balls can fly a good distance.

Does anyone use a different Lawnmower Blade for summer and fall ? I see they make a 3 in 1 blade ....how well do they work . I tend to let my grass get long . I have 21" Troy Bilt with a B&S 190 cc that I use for Mulching ..... no side discharge or bagging .
I used the Arnold 6-N-1 with the dethatching tines. It works well, but hands down the gatorblade pulverizes the grass so fine there are no clumps under my mower deck.

I had to use high lift a lot of the time on my old MTD twin blade rider. 3 in 1 type tends to clog too much if too much grass, or if it is wet/to many leaves. Pretty old deck design on it though.
I am going to try running the Gaters on my new Husqvarna triple bagger at some point. I did start clogging the chute/deck on my Husqvarna some in the late summer/fall. But the grass was getting longer/wet around here in the Western Washington.

Back