Lawn grub control

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hired a company to perform lawn fertilization/weed control. After their first visit, they wrote in the notes that I need grub control (haven't really seen any grub myself), which of course is charged extra. Whether I really need it or not, I'm trying to figure out the cost involved if I were to do it by myself. The yard is about 4k sq ft. They want about $70 for the service. I looked briefly on line. Found some substance called Milky Spore, but it costs more than what the lawn company would charge.

So, is there some low-cost effective grub control substance that you can recommend, or should I just pay the lawncare company to do it, assuming I do need it?

Bayer makes a homeowner product which is similar to what the pros use - it has imidacloprid which is known as Merit.

Do you have spots on your lawn where it is dying? Is this common in your neighborhood?

If you have a spreader a bag of the grub control would cost 25-30.00.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ZZman
If you have a spreader a bag of the grub control would cost 25-30.00.

No spreader. Would have to buy one.

I'm using a combination of Spectracide Triazicide Once & Done hose-end spray and their Once & Done granules. There's not an insect to be found in my yard. Even the ants packed up and moved.

If you're absolutely sure it's grubs, they make a granule specifically for grubs (Grub Stop) I've had great luck with all their products.

Depends on how much you like working on your lawn. If you like it buy a spreader and do the grubs, insect and fertilizing yourself. If you don't like to do it then have a company do it for you.

Kind of like oil changes.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ViragoBry
If you're absolutely sure it's grubs,

Actually, I'm not. The lawn looks fine and when I lift the turf, I don't see any bugs or eggs.

Overall, grub problem is quite common in Illinois, so I'm guessing the company just suggested the grub control treatment as preventative care.

I'm using a combination of Spectracide Triazicide Once & Done hose-end spray and their Once & Done granules. There's not an insect to be found in my yard. Even the ants packed up and moved.

wow

Originally Posted By: CivicFan

wow

Quote:
How do you expect to raise healthy plants if you can't even raise earthworms?

My grass and trees look better than they ever have. I guess my 'ecosystem' isn't reliant on worms. The pompus grass, flowers, bushes, etc. are all fine in the flowerbeds as well.

I fertilize multiple times per year and aerate, seems to be working.

I do this mainly to keep fleas, ticks and ants at bay. Spraying the yard is easier than flea-dipping 3 dogs daily. The ants were also getting out of control, entering the house at 3 different spots. I haven't seen an ant in weeks, thank you Spectracide.

My grass and trees look better than they ever have. I guess my 'ecosystem' isn't reliant on worms. The pompus grass, flowers, bushes, etc. are all fine in the flowerbeds as well.

I fertilize multiple times per year and aerate, seems to be working.

I do this mainly to keep fleas, ticks and ants at bay. Spraying the yard is easier than flea-dipping 3 dogs daily. The ants were also getting out of control, entering the house at 3 different spots. I haven't seen an ant in weeks, thank you Spectracide.

If what you are doing works for you then
21.gif
, Only thing I can find is make sure small pets don't get near the stuff.

Milky spore is a way to selectively kill the grubs without killing ALL insects - both beneficial and harmful. Milky spore is a disease that afflicts only the grub. The problem is that it doesn't overwinter very well in the cold climates, so the lawn would need to be innoculated every spring.

I urge people to forget about laying down grub poison every year because it also kills the beneficial insects, not to mention the cost to the environment and pocketbook.

Wholesale grub damage is a hit or miss thing. I was hit twice in the past 20 years. The last time was 16 years ago. Take the money you save by not treating your lawn for grubs and spend it on lawn seed for the time that grubs DO hit. It'll come out cheaper that way, and much better for the environment.

By the way, the grubs are ever-present in my lawn. I could pull back some sod and it's guaranteed that I would find a grub or two. It's when they're around 10-20 per square foot that your lawn is afflicted.

I would be careful with some of those lawn care services. I got a free evaluation from the local Scott's and while they listed I needed weed control for all the common weeds to this part of the world, they failed to notice the giant patches of brown, fungus-affected grass in the middle of my front yard. When I called them back and told them their error, they said they would return for a look and adjust their evaluation but never did. That was a year ago. They just called and left a message a week ago wanting to know why I'd never had their surface.

Neem oil would be another option. It's the only insecticide I use for home usage. Neem oil is a contact, systemic when applied on a routine basis. Great for veggie and the worms seem to thrive on it. It's use for tooth paste, completely non toxic.

Never use merit on veggie or anything you eat. It's a systemic not a contact insecticide that wears down from water and sunlight. If you have dog that eats grass for their digestive needs, it might not kill it but I don't chance it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back