Lawn equipment fuel additive recommendation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, I have a JD L111 riding mower, a 4 stroke edger, and a 2 stroke weed eater. Everytime I take my 5 gal gas tank or 1 gal tank (2 cycle) to the station for fill-up I always wonder which is the best additive to put in.

I have FP+, RLI FI cleaner, MMO, and Stabil on hand. I go through the 5 gal tank pretty quickly with the mower, but the edger might see 1 or 2 fills/year. The 1 gal tank for the eater lasts a year easily.

My current plan/usage is FP+ in the 5 gal through the long cutting season, and then try to get some Stabil in there as the season winds down.

I've just been using the 2 cycle oil mix with a little Stabil in the 1 gal can.

Would the RLI cleaner or MMO be better choices than my current plan? I haven't really noticed anything unusual with what I'm doing. But then again, who says I know what I'm doing?

We've used MMO for years, with great results in mowers, blowers, power washers, line trimmers, you name it. It works in both 2 and 4 cycle engines, just make sure you use a 2 cycle oil along with it in a 2 cycle engine. For about $4/qt at Walmart it can't be beat.

AD

I've always used Stabil in my equipment. After about 5 years of ownership of a JD LX277 with a Kawasaki twin cyl. I had a carberator issue. I took it off and disassembled it with a friend that does phone tech. support for Kawasaki small engines. He was expecting it to be all gummed up but we found it to be spotless. He was impressed and attributed it to the Stabil. We never did find anything and it seemed to get better on its own after a few more weeks. No deposits from fuel anyway and my JD sits with fuel in it almost all winter.

Originally Posted By: INDYMAC
............I always wonder which is the best additive to put in..........
I have FP+, RLI FI cleaner, MMO, and Stabil on hand.................

In a few weeks I will be trying the RLI Bio-Plus in my old Honda mower. Hopefully it will start easier after the Bio-Plus treatment. I have always used Stabil in my lawn equipment fuel.

Well, it looks like I'd be OK with either Stabil or MMO from the responses so far. The AMSOIL looked interesting until I saw the price for a pint. What's in that stuff? Ouch!

The FP+ has run well in my equipment, but I don't know how much anti-oxidant capacity it has. I suspect probably a lot. I see no other users though to confirm.

Originally Posted By: SubLGT
Originally Posted By: INDYMAC
............I always wonder which is the best additive to put in..........
I have FP+, RLI FI cleaner, MMO, and Stabil on hand.................

In a few weeks I will be trying the RLI Bio-Plus in my old Honda mower. Hopefully it will start easier after the Bio-Plus treatment. I have always used Stabil in my lawn equipment fuel.

Be careful when you pour the RLI from the gallon jug. If you can do it without making a mess and wasting it, let me know your secret.

Sta bil is for storage. Letting gas sit for 4 months or more would call for it's use.
For normal running, it is not needed.
MMO or even a bit of 2 stroke oil in the 4 stroke's gas is a good idea.
With tiny gas tanks, it is tough not to overdose, so meter it carefully at 2-4 ounces/10 gallons gas.

Originally Posted By: ewetho
Some Redline SI-1 Fuel Injector and Carb cleaner.

Fantastic.

+1

I've used Stabil for 12+ years in all my outdoor power equipment and my collector car, which sits from November to April.

Never had a stale fuel problem.

It works for me, so I stick with it.

I put fresh fuel in the tanks of the outdoor equipment in the fall and it starts right up in the spring no problem. No additive needed.

If I put too much MMO in my 17.5 HP B&S, it will spit & sputter, like needing to have the choke partially on.

So, be careful with the ratio of Gas to MMO...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back