Lawn boy repower.

I had a lawn boy deck with a badly damaged engine that missing to many parts to repair so i bought a new old stock engine from a Facebook group to re power the old deck.
The engine was built in February of 1988 it is a Tecumseh TVXL840 2 cycle commercial engine so far after 2 tanks it is doing well and runs amazing. After i get the engine fully broke in it should serve me for many years to come. This engine also has the special lawn boy tapered shaft as it was originally meant to repower these mowers.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Good for you, glad it fit. ( but don't plan on taking it to California! )

I prefer Kentucky.

Love those old Lawn-Boy mowers. Maybe it is just a Kentucky thing. Personally have 5 of them and use 2. Others are Back-ups incase one finally gives it up.

Originally Posted by KGMtech
Nice, but the front treads will have you doing power slides all over the lawn!

front wheels are factory and they actually hold well.

I got rid of my old Lawn Boy 2 strokes in the late 80's. Wish I had kept them. What luck to find an new old Tec 2 stroke! I always liked the sound of the LB engines and how the exhaust exited under the deck. What oil are you using and What ratio are you mixing the fuel? I had an old Toro self propelled with a Suzuki two stroke engine for a while that was a beast.

Originally Posted by gman2304
I got rid of my old Lawn Boy 2 strokes in the late 80's. Wish I had kept them. What luck to find an new old Tec 2 stroke! I always liked the sound of the LB engines and how the exhaust exited under the deck. What oil are you using and What ratio are you mixing the fuel? I had an old Toro self propelled with a Suzuki two stroke engine for a while that was a beast.

The engine spec TCW3 mixed at 32:1 so right now i got lawn boy oil mixed at 24:1 the service manual states to use double the mix for the first three tanks of so and i thought it would be plenty at the moment. So far i am on the 3rd tank and the first tank it ran ok but it seems to be settling down now.

Neat-O! Nice to see a re-power of an old machine to keep it in service. I've repowered quite a few machines using Honda and Predator engines with excellent results. I love keeping old stuff alive as long as I can.

Originally Posted by Clayslayer
Neat-O! Nice to see a re-power of an old machine to keep it in service. I've repowered quite a few machines using Honda and Predator engines with excellent results. I love keeping old stuff alive as long as I can.

Out of curiosity is there a standard distance from the base of the engine to the tip of the shaft?

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Originally Posted by Clayslayer

Out of curiosity is there a standard distance from the base of the engine to the tip of the shaft?

Off the top of my head I believe it is 3 5/32" in whatever the standard measuring convention is. 7/8" diameter on older stuff 25mm on newer stuff.

yep good old twc3 was the spec oil -mabey this will shut up the people who insist you cant use tcw3 oil in an air-cooled engine

Originally Posted by super20dan
yep good old twc3 was the spec oil -mabey this will shut up the people who insist you cant use tcw3 oil in an air-cooled engine

Need that corrosion protection that tcw3 has to offer for the cast iron sleeve i got some Lawn Boy, Pennzoil outdoor, and Johnson / Evinrude XD50 oil to use in it.

Originally Posted by spasm3
Nice! Are new 2 cycle engines like that hard to get?

They haven't made new 2 stroke mowers since the for about 15-17 years now. Best chance is to find one in good shape. I mow every week with my 45 and 47 year old Lawn Boys. Don't tell jakewells this, but I'm heading down to KY to steal that mower from him!

L8R,
Matt

I have 1 new one of these tvxl840 on the shelf. I had to use the carb on another engine and cannot find another carb for it ANYWHERE. these engines last a very long time. I have one I bought used in 91 and it still runs!. I bought 2 nos ones on ebay 15 yrs ago. got several dead ones for parts. by far the biggest issue with this engine is seals leaking. some common parts are still aval at partstree.com. a wonderfull motor and best Tecumseh of all time . not oil picky. I usually use a high quality marine twc3 like mercury quicksilver but omc jonson./evenrude also execellent. this engine will out mow every other 2 stroke in heavy tall grass.

Back