Latex paint embedded in a quarter panel!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dishdude

$100 Site Donor 2023
Grandma brushed up against the side of her garage while pulling her car in. As you can see, she now has house paint that has rubbed off onto the quarter panel. What is the best way to remove this? In the past I used rubbing compound, but I think that might be a little too aggressive for this candy apple red paint. The car is a 1998 Chrysler Cirrus.

0327091804.jpg

Take it to a detailer. They can take care of most of it. Even then there looks like deeper scratches that may still show. Isuspect the paint is a clearcoat finish.

If you do it yourself, look for a "scratch remover" at Autozone, advance or similar and polish by hand. Then wax. Would not recommend an orbital buffer.

Last edited:
Not sure if this will work but it is worth testing in a spot like under a door where no one can see. Home Depot and most paint stores sell a product called Goof-Off. It removes most latex paints, by softening them. I'm not sure what it will do to clear coat paint that is why I suggested testing it. I have a feeling it might work for you. You can also contact the company and ask. Just a thought. If it works out you can then polish and wax the area.

Clay bar without a doubt.......

I have taken all types of paint off cars. Including dried on paint from the road, when I tried polish and rubbing compound they would not even touch it.

Come to think of it, I was able to remove latex paint from the door on my Aerostar with very hot water and a very soft MF cloth. My guys open the doors on the Aerostar with paint on their hands, and that's worked well for me. Try that and the clay bar first.

I was going to do the clay bar thing, I just purchased the Mother's deal that is currently going on at AAP, but I wasn't sure if it would remove the house paint. I have never done claying before, so I don't have any experience as to what it will remove and what it won't. The hot water and goof off are good suggestions also!

My Grandmother loves the color of this car, so I wanted to clean it up for her. I waxed it a couple of years ago and the paint still looks great, but it needs a good cleaning and polishing.

The car spends it's entire life in the garage, she only has 39k miles on it.

Goof-Off is a last resort, and must be tested first. The other suggestions won't hurt the car at all. Good luck!

Certainly try the milder suggestions first. Every time I detail a car with a similar problem, I use either Goo-Gone, or a product I like to call DEFCON ONE. I don't know what's in the stuff but sometimes it makes MEK look like Diet Sprite. Lemme tell ya, that stuff works!

I'd use a cleaner wax product first. WD-40 might do the trick. A light polish or compound won't hurt, just use a dab on a clean applicator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back