Latest Techlink

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the electric parking brake is a bad idea, and I wonder about the huge variety of power ratings GM is using for the SIDI engines.

306 hp in an Enclave becomes 280 hp in a Lacrosse...CAFE? Torque limit of the 6T70 versus the 6T75? Is it cams or is it just a tune in the computer...hm.

The new GM engines and transmissions both seem to be solid. I wonder what a 90 degree V8 based on the architecture of the 3.6 SIDI could do. 4.8 litres and significantly better fuel economy with similar power when compared with the 5.3 to 6.2 litre engines?

I think it looks decent, but I just think Buicks look tacky with all that chrome, the styling accents are over reaching .

The Opel Insignia that the LaCrosse is based on looks much nicer, especially the interior is much nicer in the Opel version.

I agree, the design of the body is a bit to yawn at. The engines look well designed.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC
I agree, the design of the body is a bit to yawn at. The engines look well designed.
thumbsup2.gif

Yeah, car stying today is not as exciting as it was in the 50's, 60's and maybe even into the 70's. But, today's bland stying seems to be what people (not me) want. Just look at all the Camrys, Accords, Impalas, Taurus, etc. I muat say that I am very satisfied with the looks of my new CTS, however the STS seems bland and not as muscular in comparison. And I have to admit, StevieC, the Hyundais are becoming stylish lately.

I agree that there should not be so many variants of an engine. The 6.2V8 in the Escalade makes 403hp, the same EXACT engine in the Denali SUV makes 380hp (the pickup gets 403). This is due to programming only. You can get a dealer to flash your PCM w/the Cadillac program and have 403hp instantly.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
thumbsup2.gif

Yeah, car stying today is not as exciting as it was in the 50's, 60's and maybe even into the 70's. But, today's bland stying seems to be what people (not me) want. Just look at all the Camrys, Accords, Impalas, Taurus, etc. I muat say that I am very satisfied with the looks of my new CTS, however the STS seems bland and not as muscular in comparison. And I have to admit, StevieC, the Hyundais are becoming stylish lately.

Yeah I agree... No definition nowadays and most models cause you to do a double take because they are strikingly similar. The newer Hyundais (espcially the Genesis) are nice looking, but I still feel that some of their models could use some help. The new Santa Fe isn't my cup of tea.
thumbsup2.gif

I agree that there should not be so many variants of an engine. The 6.2V8 in the Escalade makes 403hp, the same EXACT engine in the Denali SUV makes 380hp (the pickup gets 403). This is due to programming only. You can get a dealer to flash your PCM w/the Cadillac program and have 403hp instantly.

Why wouldn't they just do this anyways? Or do it the next time the car is in for service for something else... Seems like a perk to the customer.
grin2.gif

Why wouldn't they just do this anyways? Or do it the next time the car is in for service for something else... Seems like a perk to the customer.
grin2.gif

Because GM specs the vehicles a certain way to be sold. Legally, the vehicle has to be sold as spec'd or intended. After the sale, well anything goes.

They'll void your warranty if you use an aftermarket, non-GM programmer to alter your vehicle (from the Feb 09 TechLink):

Quote:
General Motors is identifying an increasing number of engine, transmission and catalytic converter part failures that are the result of non GM - aftermarket engine and transmission control calibrations being used.

When alteration to the GM released engine or transmission control calibrations occurs, it subjects powertrain and driveline components (engine, transmission, transfer case, driveshaft and rear axle) to stresses that were not tested by General Motors. It is because of these unknown stresses, and the potential to alter reliability, durability and emissions performance, that GM has adopted a policy to cancel any remaining warranty coverage to the powertrain and driveline components, whenever the presence of a non-GM / aftermarket calibration is confirmed -- even if the non-GM control module calibration is subsequently removed.

Warranty coverage is based on the equipment and calibrations that were released on the vehicle at time of sale, or subsequently updated by GM. That's because GM testing and validation matches the calibration to a host of criteria that are essential to assure reliability, durability and emissions performance over the life of the warranty coverage and beyond. Stresses resulting from calibrations different than those tested and released by GM can damage or weaken components, leading to poor performance and or shortened life.

Additionally; non-GM-issued aftermarket engine control modifications often do not meet the same emissions performance standards as GM-issued calibrations. Depending on state statutes, individuals who install engine control module calibrations that put the vehicle outside the parameters of emissions certification standards may be subject to fines and / or penalties.

GM service bulletins 08-06-04-033 and 08-06-04-006 outline procedures to identify the presence of non-GM / aftermarket calibrations. GM recommends performing this check whenever a hard part failure is seen on internal engine or transmission components, or before an engine assembly or transmission assembly is being replaced under warranty. It is also recommended that the engine calibration verification procedure be performed whenever diagnostics indicate that catalytic converter replacement is indicated.

In February 2009, PQC will begin piloting a process to confirm the ECM calibration is GM-issued. Beginning in February, PQC will require a picture of the engine calibration verification screen, as outlined in the bulletin, before authorizing any V8 engine replacement (both Gas and Diesel). (fig. 19)

If a non-GM calibration is detected by the dealership, follow the procedures outlined in the bulletin. Once documentation of the non-GM calibration has been received, and verification has taken place through GM, the remaining powertrain and driveline warranty will be cancelled and noted in VISS, and the dealership will receive the following notification:

Based on information that has been received, please inform the customer that the Powertrain portion of the New Vehicle Warranty is no longer in effect for the engine, transmission, driveline and rear axle on VIN XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX, due to the presence of non-GM calibrations and / or equipment. The stresses resulting from the non-GM calibrations and / or equipment were not validated by GM and therefore cannot be warranted on any components that are subject to those stresses. Repairs to powertrain or driveline components that may currently require repair should not be covered under the terms of the new vehicle warranty. The warranty group has been advised of this information and VISS will be updated accordingly.

It's time for the usual clueless comment where someone proves they they don't have the slightest understanding of the Magnuson-Moss act.

Space provided below MM experts to comment.

Originally Posted By: Big O Dave
They'll void your warranty if you use an aftermarket, non-GM programmer to alter your vehicle (from the Feb 09 TechLink):

Quote:
General Motors is identifying an increasing number of engine, transmission and catalytic converter part failures that are the result of non GM - aftermarket engine and transmission control calibrations being used.

When alteration to the GM released engine or transmission control calibrations occurs, it subjects powertrain and driveline components (engine, transmission, transfer case, driveshaft and rear axle) to stresses that were not tested by General Motors. It is because of these unknown stresses, and the potential to alter reliability, durability and emissions performance, that GM has adopted a policy to cancel any remaining warranty coverage to the powertrain and driveline components, whenever the presence of a non-GM / aftermarket calibration is confirmed -- even if the non-GM control module calibration is subsequently removed.

Warranty coverage is based on the equipment and calibrations that were released on the vehicle at time of sale, or subsequently updated by GM. That's because GM testing and validation matches the calibration to a host of criteria that are essential to assure reliability, durability and emissions performance over the life of the warranty coverage and beyond. Stresses resulting from calibrations different than those tested and released by GM can damage or weaken components, leading to poor performance and or shortened life.

Additionally; non-GM-issued aftermarket engine control modifications often do not meet the same emissions performance standards as GM-issued calibrations. Depending on state statutes, individuals who install engine control module calibrations that put the vehicle outside the parameters of emissions certification standards may be subject to fines and / or penalties.

GM service bulletins 08-06-04-033 and 08-06-04-006 outline procedures to identify the presence of non-GM / aftermarket calibrations. GM recommends performing this check whenever a hard part failure is seen on internal engine or transmission components, or before an engine assembly or transmission assembly is being replaced under warranty. It is also recommended that the engine calibration verification procedure be performed whenever diagnostics indicate that catalytic converter replacement is indicated.

In February 2009, PQC will begin piloting a process to confirm the ECM calibration is GM-issued. Beginning in February, PQC will require a picture of the engine calibration verification screen, as outlined in the bulletin, before authorizing any V8 engine replacement (both Gas and Diesel). (fig. 19)

If a non-GM calibration is detected by the dealership, follow the procedures outlined in the bulletin. Once documentation of the non-GM calibration has been received, and verification has taken place through GM, the remaining powertrain and driveline warranty will be cancelled and noted in VISS, and the dealership will receive the following notification:

Based on information that has been received, please inform the customer that the Powertrain portion of the New Vehicle Warranty is no longer in effect for the engine, transmission, driveline and rear axle on VIN XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX, due to the presence of non-GM calibrations and / or equipment. The stresses resulting from the non-GM calibrations and / or equipment were not validated by GM and therefore cannot be warranted on any components that are subject to those stresses. Repairs to powertrain or driveline components that may currently require repair should not be covered under the terms of the new vehicle warranty. The warranty group has been advised of this information and VISS will be updated accordingly.

Yes, that is true. This inititive started with the Duramax engines and has spread to other late model gas engines.

However - what StevieC and myself were talking about would NOT void the warranty because we're discussing FACTORY tuning parameters from GM. Denalis can be programmed with Escalade software and its not aftermarket. The bulletin above, which I am familiar with, states 'non-GM calibration".

You are right.
19.gif

I mainly posted that quote for the benefit of those contemplating re-programming with aftermarket programmers. No whining allowed if your ride breaks after brainwashing it with non-GM programming!

Pretty much the same as those dealers who do not use their version of GM programming. Their agreement is voided. With no recourse.

es.

However - what StevieC and myself were talking about would NOT void the warranty because we're discussing FACTORY tuning parameters from GM. Denalis can be programmed with Escalade software and its not aftermarket. The bulletin above, which I am familiar with, states 'non-GM calibration".

You need to be sure that both vehicles have the same drivetrain behind the engine. I can't think of an example right now, but expect there are problem combinations out there.

Originally Posted By: XS650
es.

You need to be sure that both vehicles have the same drivetrain behind the engine. I can't think of an example right now, but expect there are problem combinations out there.

gear ratio differences and different calibrations on the ABS/Stability Control are the first ones i can think of.

i wonder how soon independent shops will complain about not being able to use their Tech 2. its fun when shops call here and complain that the car wont start after they changed a module that you need an IDS to program.

es.

True. At the factory where I work, our equipment automatically reads all modules and sets up the correcr programming plus we know how we built the truck (gear ratios, trans, etc) and it works flawlessly. I can easily alter programming and the system will still work correctly and safely here at the plant. BUT - at the dealership they would have to manually check every part and be sure to include it. But, really - if they just change the powertrain prg they are ok because that won't alter other systems. My only issue is thst most dealer techs are not able to do programming very well unless its given to them.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
es.

gear ratio differences and different calibrations on the ABS/Stability Control are the first ones i can think of.

i wonder how soon independent shops will complain about not being able to use their Tech 2. its fun when shops call here and complain that the car wont start after they changed a module that you need an IDS to program.

Yes -the Tech 2 situation even upsets me a little, but we're talking years before the independent shop will even see these cars. I too make a little profit off shops who need Tech 2 assistance after repairs....I love when they lock the radio out!

It's time for the usual clueless comment where someone proves they they don't have the slightest understanding of the Magnuson-Moss act.

Space provided below MM experts to comment.

Best post ever!!

i know an IDS with all the doodads and a Toughbook is around 10k, and that will just let you do Ford, Lincoln, Mercury. you have to buy additional software for Jag and Mazda.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back