Latest info on ExxonMobil synthetic base stocks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: CT8
Nooooooooo Rat 540 ideas may have merit??

Even if they did unfortunately his experimental results do not. The “ranking” is completely without merit, his results only show that within experimental error all oils tested the same.

Originally Posted By: Patman
So you dug up an old post of mine from 11 years ago to rub it in my face? That's super lame. People are allowed to change their minds about things you know.

mad.gif

I agree - that was pretty lame. We all change our minds about things and learn - well some of us who have a brain learn, the others keep on repeating their preconceived notions as fact with little or nothing to back them up.

Originally Posted By: Tom NJ

Unlike most here I don't love changing my oil, so I extend my three vehicles to one year oil change intervals. Mobil 1 EP is formulated for up 15,000 OCIs as stated on the label. Using UOAs as a trend monitoring tool I have run Mobil 1 EP to a 15,614 mile interval with no change in the UOA wear patterns from shorter intervals with the same oil and car. With an iron content of only 22 ppm, a viscosity loss of less than 5%, and a remaining TBN of 2.2 the oil provided the extended service that ExxonMobil promised. YMMV.

Could synthetic SuperTech do the same? Perhaps, but even though it meets the same SN/GF-5 specifications it is formulated to a low price point rather than extended drains, and the manufacturer makes no such claim. The Mobil 1 EP oil is formulated and tested to provide extended service, backed by the leader in synthetic oils for over 40 years, and I know contains expensive and stable Group IV and V base oils. For my requirements it is the "gooder" oil.

Ah the extended OCI argument. I believe there are more Supertech than M1 users doing them. Not because they’re intentionally into it, but just because they are more numerous and tend to be more forgetful / less obsessed with their oil changes.

Yet no “blown engines” reports. Here is the result of an involuntary extended OCi with Supertech dino, half of the oil sump empty:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2660244

Nothing blown. Not even past alert limits for wear metals.

Would you dare replicating with M1 at 2.5x its recommended OCI with no top up oil?

Originally Posted By: CT8
Nooooooooo Rat 540 ideas may have merit??

Nope, see his diatribe to my questions about how his test compares the the industry standard sequence IVA wear test...he's got no idea.

Exactly Shannow. If he was forthright, honest, calm, collected and thoughtful in his responses then it would have been very helpful.

I like the term "gooder".
lol.gif

Tom you are a tremendously helpful and great member on here. I am very grateful you are on here.

I think Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5w30 has group 4 has well. I wonder how much?? I know it is a great oil. No doubt.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Exactly Shannow. If he was forthright, honest, calm, collected and thoughtful in his responses then it would have been very helpful.

That would make him a nicer person but his ranking is still useless. He clearly does not understand that either, which shows a complete lack of comprehension of what he thinks he’s doing.

If he was straightforward and candid it would be easier to have that conversation. Plus..... An honest person would admit that there are problems with their methodology to begin with. Then it could start a process of improvement that would or could prove to make what he's doing as pertinent on some level.

Originally Posted By: oldmaninsc
So you dug up an old post of mine from 11 years ago to rub it in my face? That's super lame. People are allowed to change their minds about things you know.

mad.gif

I agree - that was pretty lame. We all change our minds about things and learn - well some of us who have a brain learn, the others keep on repeating their preconceived notions as fact with little or nothing to back them up.

I will admit that I'm a pretty opinionated person, and 11 years ago I had that firm opinion that Exxon was more concerned about profits than the quality of Mobil 1 but it was just my opinion at the time with no concrete facts to back it up. Fast forward to today and I'm less likely to tell people to avoid certain oils over others, because I'm smart enough now to know that there really is no name brand synthetic oil that is going to cause your engine to die an early death. I've never claimed that Mobil 1 is the absolute best oil available, but it's most definitely priced right and is definitely a quality choice.

Originally Posted By: oldmaninsc

mad.gif

I will admit that I'm a pretty opinionated person, and 11 years ago I had that firm opinion that Exxon was more concerned about profits than the quality of Mobil 1 but it was just my opinion at the time with no concrete facts to back it up. Fast forward to today and I'm less likely to tell people to avoid certain oils over others, because I'm smart enough now to know that there really is no name brand synthetic oil that is going to cause your engine to die an early death. I've never claimed that Mobil 1 is the absolute best oil available, but it's most definitely priced right and is definitely a quality choice.
01.gif

Regarding the SEQ IVA, it raises questions about XOM's consistency. The recent Shell vs Delvac issue made me think more about this. I posted this in that thread: I believe Shell probably did find the Mobil oil to not meet the specification. The question I have is why and how prevelant is it within the supply? It's things like this that make me wonder how consistent the quality is among the supply. Do some of these companies intentially cut back after meeting specifications knowing that few companies will spend $200,000 to test a competitors product? That's hopefully not the case but you never know.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
I would add the majority of UOA’s are not conducted in a systematic manner. Start with what the expert here has stated (Newton).

You have that right!

As for comments about oils not meeting the specifications actually licensed, batch variations happen. I have no doubt Mobil had issues on a couple batches over the years. Others, I'm sure, have, too. I have zero reason to disbelieve explicit claims made by the competition when they come across an issue. Of course, none of this would prevent me from using a Mobil product. Stuff happens, and that's why companies test, and test each others' products, too.

We have a lot of experts (either in their own mind or actual experts) on BITOG). I'm not one of them. All I know is this: The other day I changed the valve cover gaskets on my 1996 3.0 L Camry V-6 (the so-called sludge monster engine). At that time it had over 325.000 miles on the original, never overhauled engine. The heads were sparkling clean. It uses no oil between 6,000 mile changes and I drive it the speed limit+ on long trips (up to 80 & above). The oil? Mobil-1. That's good enough evidence for me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back