late winter riding: am I using the right oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Harley sportster in which I'm running a mix of 50% Pennzoil 20w50 (conventional dino auto oil) and 50% Royal purple 20w-50 synthetic motorcycle oil. The oil has only about 1500miles on it and I thought I would wait until the early summer and then change the oil over to Valvoline at that time.

Unfortunately, we here in the midwest are having an unseasonably cold late winter / early spring with temps ranging from 25F to 35F. Despite the 50% synthetic RP, is this oil not right for the lower temps? Or will be ok for 200-300 miles until spring (hopefully) makes it appearance.

If its not right what weight? 10w-40?

If the bike is in a heated garage when you start it up, then Id worry less, but 20wt oil at startup will take a while to circulate if the bike is outside or in a cold garage. Im pretty sure HD calls for a thinner oil in those operating temps.

Last edited:
It maybe apples and oranges, but my 528e starts fine at 10F with 20w50 dino in the sump. Drive easy the first few miles.

I remember seeing somewhere an article about how long it took different viscosity oils to reach all parts of a V8 engine in cold conditons(I think it was a Ford, but I don't recall what specific engine), and for thicker oils it was over 30 seconds. That is a long time to run dry at every cold start up. It may not be audible or noticeable, but there may be accelerated start up wear.

Last edited:
Mixing brands for a fill is not a good practice. Additive package clash, not to mention RP consistently ranked at the bottom of AMSoil's tests.

Just to answer your question NO you're not using the right oil.
Why would you mix conventional Dino oil with a high quality synthetic like Royal Purple in an air cooled motorcycle?

Why don't you just run straight 20w-50 Mobil One, or Valvoline VR-1, Schaffers Supreme 7000, Amsoil, Royal Purple???
Another option is Mobil One 15w-50 for year round protection..

What does your HD owners manual state to run at cold temps? Probably 15w-40...
Try 15w-40 diesel oil like Rotella for cold temps over the winter..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back