Late stage career change..got a Class A CDL...

Status
Not open for further replies.
...looking forward to seeing the country..surprised at the persistent demand for this skill...wrote dbl/tpl, tanker, hazmat and passenger endorsements will do the TWIC and Canada/Mexico/port pass right away too...see where that takes me first year.

Originally Posted By: dblshock
...looking forward to seeing the country..surprised at the persistent demand for this skill...wrote dbl/tpl, tanker, hazmat and passenger endorsements will do the TWIC and Canada/Mexico/port pass right away too...see where that takes me first year.

Awesome and congrats. Curious, which field did you switch from?
smile.gif

I *LOVED* driving semi-truck in the 90's!

Especially flatbed loads, I got to see the country and go to some really cool places!

Not any more.

I have friends in the business, and they say the rules are (*almost* literally) a killer.

was wonderful mastering yard maneuvers in Escanaba, MI late November- December...Whoa.

I'm new to this but it seems they regulate a ton of responsibility to the driver..i'd bet the pay will zoom with demand through the roof like it is.

We had trained with 48' trailers in MI. but I'm from neighboring WI. where the exam is on 53' rigs.. but I aced the yard with 0 points, proud of myself for that..as well I should.

Being on the road will learn you things. I ran coast to coast in the late 1970s and have great memories,,, be careful.

the attractive part of CDL for me was I can live and work where ever I like...that has merit.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Being on the road will learn you things. I ran coast to coast in the late 1970s and have great memories,,, be careful.

I understand, yes sir.

I have had my cdl over 20 yrs. I lost money driving a company truck. I quit and went back to auto repair. I do ocasionally drive for the truss place across the street. I never got to see the neet places. I was there at night,delivering to the back door or a place where trucks are not allowed.

Good luck. I drove OTR for a few years. I ended up quitting because the company that advertises "home weekly" on the back of every trailer was keeping me out for 2-3 weeks at a time, with unpaid layovers and constant switching between day and night driving. Oh, and the driving into NYC was awful. Never again! I liked driving out west the best.
I recently tried to get back into it, but nobody will hire me because it's been over five years.

Last edited:
I've thought about in the past when considering switching careers. Just didn't seem like it was for me.

This can be great job for select people. Good luck, stay safe, and post pictures if you have the time.

I drove for over a decade, and I got to the point I hated it. Freaking cops will not let you sleep when the truck stops are full, and there is no where else to stop. Driving 650 miles, and getting paid for 590. I can go on and on....

Get use to the paid miles as the crow flies, or otherwise known as Rand McNally map miles. Biggest scam in trucking. Drivers are getting gouged left and right. Drivers are driving a lot more miles than what they are getting paid for.

I got my CDL 14 years ago and I still have it. I suppose it depends on which company you end up driving for, but most companies these days run drivers ragged. I wouldn't want to be a truck driver today...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back