Late night shenanigans. Garage organization and lighting ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by splinter
Did some (8) quick and easy Honeywell LED 4' 4000K 4000L in our little joint.
Relatively inexpensive and a real sense of functionality every time I flip that switch.

Let there be light!

Nice garage..i could hang out in there all day!👠I can barely get around in mine with all my crap, the kids crap and crap i don't even know who's it is or how it got there! ...‚

Last edited:
Spray foam is expensive and overkill for a garage, just use batts. 4000k lights keep me up at night, and if I had a garage I would be wrenching at night. I would rather some 3000-3500k mood lighting combined with a stand mounted or hand held work light. Overhead lights rarely provide enough light unless there are a lot of them, especially below bench level.

It's time for you to build a bench. The Simpson bench kit is nice and I think you can build a bench with a pegboard wall behind it with a single kit IIRC.

I agree that the spray insulation is not worth the expense and using the batts-as high as they will go.
I had 8 ft strips and changed to light sockets and put 1 LED bulb in each. Not satisfactory so put the multi socket dudes in and like it better, but agree that the strips probably give better light distribution..

I would put in another 20 amp circuit with receptacles any place you can imagine and install them waist high or higher, i.e. easy access. Make the first receptacle in both circuits a GFCI so you are protected everywhere. Also would go ahead and install a 220 outlet(s).

Buy some cheap speakers and mount up out of the way so you can have some tunes in there....

Don't laugh.....Pinterest has lots of neat ideas for garage storage, benches, etc.

Spray foam is good if you want more R-value that fiberglass will allow in a given size wall cavity.

Also fiberglass should not be used where the outer wall is concrete.

Spray foam becomes more reasonable when you DIY.

Originally Posted by rekit
That orange wire wrapped around and around your joist is gonna magnetize it, and all your tools will jump up to it! If you're missing any, look up!

I am missing my 10mm...
lol.gif

[Linked Image]

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

If you have a Rural King nearby, I've been very happy with their 5500 lumen LED shop lights. I have 12 of them hanging in a 20x40 section of my garage. They're instant on and bright. Much better than the fluorescents they replaced. They're currently on sale for $20 each.

[Linked Image]

These are 100w equivalent led bulbs not daylight bulbs. They are great value and sylvania bulbs

I have the daylight bulbs in my parents detach garage where i do a lot of work.

20191222_014202_Film1.jpg

20191222_014216_Film1.jpg

Originally Posted by Skippy722
Anyone else work graveyard/3rd shift/some other goofy schedule that puts you at the polar opposite of the rest of the world? 4pm-4am here, tried doing the whole "change your sleep schedule when you're off thing" and it was truly miserable, so I keep the same schedule when I'm off.

I've been doing this shift for ~23yrs. It flip-flops from 4p-4a to 4a-4p though, so there's no keeping the same (sleep) schedule.

Nice garage! I've got a mix of different style LEDs and a few fluorescents in my garage.

Update time! My lights finally came in. Got some Bbounder LED "250w equivalent" LED's off Amazon, linkable and came as a set of 4. I'd say they light up the area pretty well!

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Another interesting way is to simply install 4 mega bright corn-cob LED (edison socket) bulbs. Not quite as smooth a light pattern. But it works.

This. Just took delivery and installed a 50 watt LED corn bulb light. it lights up half the garage......
The Big Boss is happy......great suggestion........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back