Late Model OCIs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since it’s been suggested that oil change intervals beyond 3000 miles are a major contributor to oil filter media deterioration (holes, tears, etc.), let’s look at manufacturers recommended OCIs for late model vehicles. Can we list some specifics? My late model vehicle manufacturer recommended OCIs are:

2002 Ford Ranger
Normal Service 5000 mi, or 6 months (whichever occurs first)
Severe Service** 3000 mi, or 3 months (whichever occurs first)

2001 Chevy Venture
All Service (Engine Oil Monitor), 1 yr. max.

** Ford uses the name "Special Operating Conditions". The following quote is from the owners manual: “If you operate your Ford/Lincoln/Mercury primarily primarily in one of the more demanding ‘Special Operating Conditions’ listed below, you will need to have some items maintained more frequently. If you only occasionally operate your vehicle under these conditions, it is not necessary to perform the additional maintenance.” The bold letter emphasis is theirs, not mine. The following are the Ford Special Operating conditions that require the 3000 mi, 3 month OCI:

1) Towing a trailer or using a camper or car-top carrier.
2) Extensive idling and/or low-speed driving for long distances as in heavy
commercial use such as delivery, taxi, patrol car or livery.
3) Operating in dusty conditions such as unpaved or dusty roads.
4) Use of E-85 fuel 50% of the time or greater (flex fuel vehicles only).

If what you are saying is true about oil filters beyond 3,000 miles, the filter in my V6 A4 (59,000 miles) must be brutal by the time I am done.

I run 10,000 mile before changing on the OEM (Mann) filter. I use a pump from Griot's Garage and replace the oil at 5,000 mile intervals (either Castrol Syntec 0W30/5W40) and filter changes at 10,000 miles.

I have never cut one of the used filters open and honestly, haven't seen a need to. The oil analysis I had at 35,000 miles turned up positive results from Terry, so I am going to stick it.

My 1998 Chrysler manual says that for normal service change the oil at 7,500 miles and the filter at 15,000 miles. I have run 10,000 mile OCIs since it was new, no problems noted.

This is good...
severe --- normal
1989 Nissan p/u 4x4 3000m --- 7500m
book says change filter every other chg under severe= every 6000miles
1995 Chev Blazer 4x4 3000m/3mo --- 7500m/12 mo
1999 Chev ZR2 p/u 4x4 3000m/3mo --- 7500m/12 mo

Keep in mind that when you say “no problems”…as far as the filter is concerned, you’ll need to cut it open to verify that “no problem” condition. UOA will not tell you that.

That would be a major point here, you won’t know how the filter handled the miles unless you look inside.

formatting didn't line up like I intended, sorry

Hyundai (all engines) 7500 mile/6 month regular, 3750 miles/ 3 month severe. The owners manual actualy gives a good breakdown as to what is considered severe.
I would love to be able to go 10k+, but can't for quite a while, darn 100k powertrain warranty.
smile.gif

Brian..my 2003 Taurus has the same OCI as the Ranger you quoted in my scheduled maintence guide.

The exception is in the severe bit where besides 3,000 miles or 3 months, they also add "or 200 hours of engine operation use" whichever comes first. Don't know to many people who count the hours they use their engine for their daily driver.

I'll repost #2

2) Extensive idling and/or low-speed driving for long distances as in heavy commercial use such as delivery, taxi, patrol car or livery.

This probably would confuse the average Joe..as low speed driving and idling is exactly what "normal" people do day to day.

I'll also add from the owners manual..

" Ford production and aftermarket (Motocraft) oil filters are designed for added engine protection and long life. If a replacement filter is used that does not meet Ford material and design specifications, start up engine noises or knock may be experienced.

It is recommended to use the appropriate Motocraft oil filter ( or another brand meeting Ford specifications) for your engine application."

Notice..long life.

More efficiency is usually at the expense of filter life. So those who opt for a more efficient filter should make note.

Nissan reccomends 7500 for normal and 3750 for severe service. thats with dino. And look how long there vehicles last.

2003 Mitsubishi Montero 3.8L V6

Normal 7500 miles with filter every other time or change filter if it is over one year old.

Severe 3000 miles with filter every other time unless the filter is over 6 months old.

That could make for some confusion. If you are in severe duty and do 5k in 6 months ..you're doing (efectively, unless you expect anyone to just get a filter changed) a 3k oci (same filter) ..and then a 2k oci since you'll exceed the 6 month limit on the fitler. Or you'll change the filter @ 5k/6months ..and then 1k later swap the sump out.

"I would love to be able to go 10k+, but can't for quite a while, darn 100k powertrain warranty."

Blupupher..

Hyundai would never check, nor would they ever know. Its not as though you would ever need repairs where there going to test the oil, and even if you suspected they would, you just change the oil quick b4 the service. Run the 10k intervals.

1989 Toyota Trucks (I4 & V6)
Schedule A Conditions:
* Towing a trailer, using a camper or car top carier
* Repeat short trips less than 5 miles and outside temperatures remain below freezing
* Extensive idling and/or low speed driving for a long distance such as police, taxi or door-to-door delivery use
* Operating on dusty, rough muddy or salt spread roads

Schedule B Conditions:
* Conditions other than those listed for Schedule A

Under Schedule A oil and filter are to be replaced every 5,000 miles.

Under Schedule B oil and filter are to be replaced every 10,000 miles.

I have replaced my oil and filter every 3,000 miles on average since new and I've driven it now over 160,000 miles. I have always used name brand oil's and filter's. Oil consumption is always less than a quart between changes. I had no idea I had a sludge problem until I started using Auto-RX to stop some oil leaks. I'm still dealing with the oil leaks but Auto-RX transformed to performance of my engine by removing the sludge build up.

How much more sludge would have built up in the engine had I gone with the recommended 5,000 or 10,000 OCI? How much oil would it be consuming now? I'm not about to try longer OCI on this vehicle just because Toyota says I might be able to get away with it.

Good Point Turbo Jim.

I wonder what the original OEM engine "warranty" was? Because after it's out of warranty, they probably wouldn't mind selling a lot of engine parts or whatever. A consumer would just think spending money on an engine with high mileage is the norm. However most people trade in their vehicles within 3-4 years and not reach 100,000 miles that they don't care. How often does the "big" car expense seem to come up after the "warranty" has expired?

And you're one who has done better maintenance than what is required by changing oil and filter sooner. As you say..what might have happened if you followed Toyota's recommendation? How much extra expense would you be out? No one can answer but it is a thought worth thinking about...

My 02' Honda CRV and 03' Dodge Sprinter both say 10k OCI's. I have extended my Sprinter to 17k once with oil monitor.

I tend to change the Honda around 2k
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by RedWolf4000:
"I would love to be able to go 10k+, but can't for quite a while, darn 100k powertrain warranty."

Blupupher..

Hyundai would never check, nor would they ever know. Its not as though you would ever need repairs where there going to test the oil, and even if you suspected they would, you just change the oil quick b4 the service. Run the 10k intervals.

I have thought about it, but just can't.
dunno.gif

quote:

That could make for some confusion. If you are in severe duty and do 5k in 6 months ..you're doing (efectively, unless you expect anyone to just get a filter changed) a 3k oci (same filter) ..and then a 2k oci since you'll exceed the 6 month limit on the fitler. Or you'll change the filter @ 5k/6months ..and then 1k later swap the sump out.

I read the manual carefully, and I know what you are saying. However, I think Mitsu meant what they said. In other words, the normal service interval for the filter can be up to two years, the severe service interval for the filter can be up to 1 year.

That not what you first posted, Winston.

I read that as 6 months or one year. If the service is severe ..the oil gets changed every 3k. If not 7.5k. If 3k takes 6 months ..it's an oil and filter change. If 7500 takes 6 months ..then the filter is changed once a year or every other OCI. If 7.5k takes 9 months...then one year will expire before the next OCI ..so it should be changed then.

or so I reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back