Last vehicles sold without an oil filter?

In another thread, someone mentioned that VW Beetles were sold into the 1960s with no provision for an oil filter.

Some American light trucks were sold without an oil filter until the late 1950s. If memory serves, the 1955 Chevrolet V-8 did not have one that year, but it was installed for 1956. Dealers could install an oil filter kit as an option for the '55s.

So what was the last year the Beetle did not have an oil filter? And what was the last American car and light truck sold without one? Were there other imports that delayed including one?

Thanks!

I remember the service manual on my '62 Tempest mentioning the oil filter being an option. Back then oil changes were recommended every 2,000 miles and nobody expected cars to go 100,000 miles so not having a filter wasn't that critical.

Any vehicle? Many motorcycles did not use an oil filter.
The Honda motorcycles that didn't use an oil filter had a centripetal oil filter that worked pretty good. Had to take it apart and dig out/clean all the stuff it captured.

It was past the 60s for beetles. My 1973 doesn’t have an oil filter. I don’t believe any of the air cooled ones did. Just has a strainer in the bottom of the pan that you take out and clean or change. They may have gotten them in the 80s when production moved to Mexico but I don’t believe they did then either.

The original Fiat 500 in the 60's and Fiat 126 in the 70's didn't have a replaceable oil filter just a centrifugal filter that could be cleaned out. It was quite effective. I believe a centrifugal filter was also used on several other Fiat models including the 124 twin cam.

I had a 1982 Suzuki GN400 motorcycle that had no replaceable filters just a fine mesh filter for the oil filter and an oiled foam filter for the air filter. Both could be cleaned and that's all I did in 12 years of ownership.

There was a retrofit for the early bugs. My Dad's 71 Super Beetle had one; a Fram.
My 50 Chevy Business Coupe had a Franz toilet paper roll filter added to the "sewing machine" 6 banger. Loved that car...

I suspect you're just being cute, but ...

Tesla Filter.jpg

It was past the 60s for beetles. My 1973 doesn’t have an oil filter. I don’t believe any of the air cooled ones did. Just has a strainer in the bottom of the pan that you take out and clean or change. They may have gotten them in the 80s when production moved to Mexico but I don’t believe they did then either.
Yep, the 1979 VW Beetle Cabriolet was probably the last car sold in the USA that did not have an oil filter - just that screen in the sump to clean.

The Mexican air-cooled Beetles did eventually get a spin-on oil filter that I believe was mounted on a boss that was cast as part of the oil pump.

Back