Last production day of the Ford Ranger, St.Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea, my ex-FIL worked there all his life.

Amazing facility - hopefully it can be re-used well...

Originally Posted By: tpitcher

Amazing facility - hopefully it can be re-used well...

doesn't look like it; from the article:
The Ranger, which peaked in popularity in 1999, is the only vehicle made at the St. Paul plant. The demise of the Ranger, the cost of retrofitting the factory to make other vehicles and its distance from Ford's industrial heartland were too much to overcome.

Ford has said it intends to market the 140-acre site next year but doesn't have specific redevelopment plans and doesn't have a date it will put it up for sale. Redevelopment of the site may prove complicated, experts say, because of contamination issues associated with years of manufacturing and a labyrinth of tunnels underneath the factory grounds.

I really don't understand why domestic manufacturers are exiting the small truck market. Judging by the number of 10-15 yr old S10s and Rangers on the roads, it seems like there is a demand for a "right sized" pick-up. Not everyone needs a huge truck.

Originally Posted By: novadude
I really don't understand why domestic manufacturers are exiting the small truck market. Judging by the number of 10-15 yr old S10s and Rangers on the roads, it seems like there is a demand for a "right sized" pick-up. Not everyone needs a huge truck.

+1

Agreed something fishy about stopping sales of vehicle that outsells its competition, outsells Flex and Navigator combined. I realize its a low margin vehicle, but it can't cost much to do some light updates from time to time either.

I agree.

Originally Posted By: mpvue
Redevelopment of the site may prove complicated, experts say, because of contamination issues associated with years of manufacturing and a labyrinth of tunnels underneath the factory grounds.

If the site is as bad as the media makes it sound (in terms of contamination), and unless Ford has been keeping up with monitoring it (and they may have), they have a potentially huge liability on their hands that will be hard to unload. This is the field in which I work (site remediation), and depending on the nature and extent of what they have, it can be years or decades before the site can be reused.

I'm thinking the profit margin on those small trucks is far too slim to be sustainable.

I seem to recall that the Expedition used to be Ford's most profitable vehicle, partially because it's built on the F-150 platform which is the best selling vehicle in the US.

I don't get it either. If I were to buy a truck, it would be a used "small" truck. It's a shame they screwed up the last generation of Dakota so much, I love the 97-04's, they are my favorite truck ever.

It's too bad, as there are any number of reasons why small trucks are getting killed, but one of those reasons is not that people don't want them. (Sorry for the poorly worded sentence.)

Out of all the trucks I've owned (full size....down to 4 cylinder) I'd say the Ranger was number one or two in meeting my needs. Great mpg's, reliable, reasonable price, and not bad looking. These days most people want something technologically advanced, huge power, tons of interior gizmos, and that macho curb appeal that the Ranger really doesn't have. Too bad really....I've owned two of them and think they were perfect.

Isn't GM coming out with an updated Colorado pickup design? I bought my '00 Nissan Frontier (4x2 with 4cyl) used in '03 with about 27k (now with 175k) on the clock. There is a market for a small pickup truck still. I do not need a large (F150 and up) sized p/u. Ford is giving away market share imho.

The day after my birthday...that's not a very nice present Ford.
frown.gif

I will definitely miss the Ranger. Luckily they are reliable, so good used ones should be available for a while. I guess my dad will have to buy used the next time he wants a truck. He refuses to buy any pickup that's not a Ranger.

Its fords own fault the Ranger has failed in the last few years. While the rest of the small pickups upsized and adapted to the changing market the ranger didnt change at all. It has been the same truck for waaaay to many years. If they had a larger model similar to the Tacoma then maybe people would have bought it. I for one would have no interest in a compact truck that I cant do a lot with. My parents have a 2005 Tacoma 4dr and that thing is great! Decent mileage and seating for 5! The Ranger is the only one on the market that cant do that these days. Waste of time to buy one unless you want to get a weak 4cyl to attempt to get good mileage.

Originally Posted By: chewbacca
I bought my '00 Nissan Frontier (4x2 with 4cyl) used in '03 with about 27k (now with 175k) on the clock. There is a market for a small pickup truck still.

My '99 Frontier is the largest pickup I would want. I never need to tow anything, so this truck is just right. With a manual, it gets decent gas mileage, too.

Add me to the list of people who are mad that the compact truck market is shrinking.

The Ranger has been due for an upgrade for quite some time. I think Ford is simply going to build a small pickup based on an existing front drive platform. Not ideal, but probably much more capable of meeting "fuel economy" requirements.

Originally Posted By: yaris0128
Its fords own fault the Ranger has failed in the last few years. While the rest of the small pickups upsized and adapted to the changing market the ranger didnt change at all. It has been the same truck for waaaay to many years. If they had a larger model similar to the Tacoma then maybe people would have bought it. I for one would have no interest in a compact truck that I cant do a lot with. My parents have a 2005 Tacoma 4dr and that thing is great! Decent mileage and seating for 5! The Ranger is the only one on the market that cant do that these days. Waste of time to buy one unless you want to get a weak 4cyl to attempt to get good mileage.

Exactly why many of us LIKE the Ranger. I didn't want or need a bigger, more complex, expensive pickup. I don't care what market Ford is pandering toward to get higher sales....that's fine and part of what drives sales. But Ford, and other auto makers often ignore the cost conscious and thrifty buyer that just wants VALUE and not trying to keep up with the 'cool' factor. If a person wants a larger, 'real' pickup...there has never been a shortage of that. But in the last fifteen years the available selections for a simple 4 cylinder, small, reliable pickup has all but evaporated....especially now with the end of the Ranger. And who wants to seat 5 people in a compact truck? What's the point? Buy a sedan for crying out loud. And you say a 'weak' 4 cylinder? Hardly. It's people such as yourself that have obliterated the ability to find true value in the pickup market by demanding size, volumes of power, and expensive updating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back