Last Internal Combustion engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Shannow
Originally Posted by Dinoburner
When battery fueled vehicles can be charged in less than 10 minutes maybe. Wouldn`t be able to drive a long trip with limited charging stations in the New England area.

Couple of things...

Batteries aren't fuel any more than that big can in the back of your gasser is.
And 60KWh charge in 10 minutes is a 360KW charge rate, a couple of hundred times more than a power outlet, like getting 3-4 household daily usages into the battery in 10 minutes.

Misspoke on the fuel issue, perhaps storage of electrons and thank you for making my point on charging rates.

Originally Posted by Shannow
When battery fueled vehicles can be charged in less than 10 minutes maybe. Wouldn`t be able to drive a long trip with limited charging stations in the New England area.

Couple of things...

Batteries aren't fuel any more than that big can in the back of your gasser is.
And 60KWh charge in 10 minutes is a 360KW charge rate, a couple of hundred times more than a power outlet, like getting 3-4 household daily usages into the battery in 10 minutes.

Misspoke on the fuel issue, perhaps storage of electrons and thank you for making my point on charging rates.

As for charging rate. The upcoming Porsche Taycan will charge at a peak 350kw. The Tesla Supercharger V3 that's out right now is capable of 250kw.

https://www.tesla.com/blog/introducing-v3-supercharging

We're not that far away.

Last edited:
My prediction is that in 2040, about half of cars on the road will be ICE driven. Shoot, many of the posters on this sight buying new cars today or in the near future will be trying to keep their cars going for 20 years. Plenty of 20 year old cars on the road today, and those cars were not as well made as today's new cars.

A lot of EV enthusiasts see ICE disappearing in 20 years, I think they are delusional.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl

My two cents,

Induction charging is going to be standardized and the vast majority of parking spots will have them. Think grocery stores, office parking lots, Home Depot's, etc etc.

That would be ideal but I doubt that will happen for a LONG time. Who pays for that? I know in my state they can't even repave the existing roads due to budget problems. And would businesses be willing to shell out the money for these systems for potential customers who aren't even on the road yet?

The problem with EVs right now is battery life and the infrastructure to support charging, which is why most consumers haven't bought them. In order to upgrade the infrastructure there has to be funding and incentive to do it. I know most businesses like grocery stores for example are not going to pay for that type of expensive infrastructure in their parking lots if it that investment won't pay for itself rather quickly.

To be clear I like the idea of EVs for many applications, but most of the people I know who own them do so because they can charge for free at work which makes them worthwhile over a ICE vehicle. Once the free electricity goes away that won't be a benefit.

Originally Posted by OILJUNKIE
When will the last internal combustion engine be sold in America? My guess Dec. 31, 2040

I'd guess the internal combustion engine is here to stay.

Electric powered aircraft engineers have discovered that fuel is, by weight, 43 times more energy dense.

We are not even close to doing real work with batteries.

EV's are currently a perfect trifecta:

Expensive to purchase
Slow to charge
Range limited.

Until at least one of those items changes markedly, EV's won't replace gas powered cars.

About 5 years ago we looked into installing a solar array and purchase a Chevy Volt. The approximate investment was close to $50,000 and not financially viable. Several neighbors have solar and are quite happy, but not yet for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back