Last ditch fix - Additives for slipping automatic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am attempting move an 01 Saab 9-3 automatic that was been slipping intermittently before it was parked about a year ago. The last straw last year was when it started slipping on the highway (smoke, high RPMs), and was towed to it's current location.

I'd like to bring it home (50 miles) to replace the transmission. I was able to charge it up and start it recently, and it seemed to drive around the driveway and parking lot just fine.

The fluid doesn't appear to be low, and surprisingly isn't too burnt. My theory is that the screen inside is being plugged up after some amount of driving, and the transmission is loosing line pressure.

Does anyone have any recommendation for additives I can dump into this thing to help limp it along for another day? I'm not really concerned about long term longevity here - just trying to avoid paying for another tow. I've got all day, so I can take it slow, take brakes, etc.

Thanks!

If your correct about your gunk theory and your just looking for a short time why not throw a can of Berryman b12 Chem tool in it. I'm positive this will have adverse effects but if your just trying to get it to the shop or have nothing to loose its worth a try. The stuffs a very strong solvent and works well at cleaning fuel system.

Like I said tho this is a solvent and if its not a junk problem then I don't see it doing anything positive since its not meant for the tranny.

On a side note I don't know any additive that will repair chipped teeth on a tranny. If its shot its shot.

There's "stop leak" junk that's like cherry grenadine that will make it thicker. Might help if it's not making enough pressure to hold the clutches.

Also hotwire the rad fan so the ATF stays cooler.

And cross your fingers. Try higher revs in lower gears if that helps or hurts.

Hmm.. I was just reading about the LubeGard Red in other BITOG threads, which I might try.

In the slipping situation, you would want thickening additive right? I've used Trans-X in other cars in the past, and that seemed like pure gasoline to me as I poured it..

Breaking down 1/2 way there would mean a significantly cheaper tow bill! I'll have a helper following me on relatively quiet roads, so I'm not too worried about being stranded.

Originally Posted By: spavel6
My theory is that the screen inside is being plugged up after some amount of driving, and the transmission is loosing line pressure.

If that's your theory, shouldn't you try to change the filter first (if it's replaceable)?

How hard would it be to drain the pan and change the filter? I had a filter clog to the point that it was starving the pump. I R+R'ed the filter and what ever ATF drained. The torque flight was good as new.

The Aisin filter is not serviceable unfortunately.

Thanks for the lubegard note.

I do have an extractor I can use to draw out some fluid and replace with type F..

And I agree wholeheartedly that a new transmission is needed. Just need to get the car home!

Last edited:
I'd bet that you can limp it fifty miles.
If it dies and you're driving through a rural area, you could always flat tow it.
The brakes and steering will be a bear, but you already know that.
I was once flat towed most of the way from Dayton to Cincinnati on I-75.
I was younger and dumber then, but it worked out just fine, although the driver of the tow vehicle was going a lot faster than I would have liked.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
I'd bet that you can limp it fifty miles.
If it dies and you're driving through a rural area, you could always flat tow it.
The brakes and steering will be a bear, but you already know that.
I was once flat towed most of the way from Dayton to Cincinnati on I-75.
I was younger and dumber then, but it worked out just fine, although the driver of the tow vehicle was going a lot faster than I would have liked.

The engine can be run for steering/brakes with the trans in neutral,A/C even,if he does need to flat tow it.

Last edited:
FWIW, I knew a guy years ago that put a can of STP in a '61 Chevy Biscayne that had a slipping cast iron Powerglide. It cured the slipping to where he was able to drive it back and forth between the Bay Area and LA for several years afterwards.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
vehicle was going a lot faster than I would have liked.

It is illegal to tow in such a manner. 50 miles is a good distance to try it.

Originally Posted By: rjundi

It is illegal to tow in such a manner. 50 miles is a good distance to try it.

It is? I am not aware of the laws on this subject. I wouldn't want to do something that would get me in trouble..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back