Last ditch fix - Additives for slipping automatic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having towed a few Saab over the years--rent a tow dolly, have someone to help you push the car up on the dolly, and get it home. You don't want to be somewhere on the side of the road.

If you want to change the fluid and try it around the block, do it at home.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
vehicle was going a lot faster than I would have liked.

It is illegal to tow in such a manner. 50 miles is a good distance to try it.

According to a police officer friend, it's perfectly legal, just as it's legal to tow a trailer with no brakes.

If it is truely slipping, adding the Type F should let the clutches grab better and get you further than with all those friction modifiers, although i have never tried it myself...it would be MY last ditch shot if it were mine.

Originally Posted By: NMBurb02
Throw in some Lucas trans goop.

01.gif

Refresh the visc with Lucas:
http://lucasoil.com/products/transmission-products/lucas-transmission-fix

Originally Posted By: FL_Rob
Will this work with your state laws if you stay off the interstate?

Towing pic
Towing pic 2

I would prefer you use TWO safety chains, that criss crosses under the hitch.

Like this:
crisscross_chains.jpg

When we "flat" tow a vehicle, it's either with chain or a tow strap. and there is ALWAYS someone in the towed vehicle using the brakes to "slow down" the tower.

Other than that, take low traffic roads and use your hazards, should be fine.

Last edited:
The tranny in the ever faithful "Bluesmobile" (1993 Ford Taurus) started slipping AND pausing between gears back in March of 2013. I added a can of "Seafoam" Trans tune which cleared things up in about two miles. 17 months and 10,000 miles later, she's just now starting to act up again, (hills are becoming somewhat of a challenge).

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Drain and refill with some Type F?

That's what I was thinking. It's an old trick that can get a little more life out of a unit that's half dead.

Went out and picked it up on Sunday. The car was dirty (it has sat under a tree, snowbank, and tree again since last year). The brakes were a little scratchy, but it drove fine.

I took the scenic route and made it all the way home without any snake oil. Thanks for all the suggestions! Now it's time to dig into it and hopefully salvage the beast!

throw lucas in there to thicken it up.

then throw 4oz of brake fluid in there. the brake fluid will swell all the seals so it will hold pressure.

it may run well for a few weeks, however after a few weeks, the rubber will dissolve and the trans will be -done-.

The old tranny might need some higher pressures to engage the clutches so tray this:

Thicker ATF

In addition the esters might clean off some of the varnish.

I would drop the pan and mmake sure the filter is clean because if it is clogged, you are going to have low internal pressures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back