Laser pointers banned after attacks

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/xdtalk-chat...e-firearms.html

In Oz...

Quote:
High-powered hand lasers, including so-called "star pointers" used by astronomers, would be listed as prohibited weapons in New South Wales state with jail terms of up to 14 years for anyone carrying them without a permit.

smirk2.gif

Yep, they've now declared them as dangerous as bullet proof vests, sword canes, wrist rockets, Capsicum spray, and the maxim gun.

There's been a serious problem with louts shining them at planes, one rescue helicopter pilot has been attacked 4 times in 12 months.

But as usual, Oz goes to posession rather than action/intent.

Quote:
hey've now declared them as dangerous as bullet proof vests, sword canes, wrist rockets, Capsicum spray, and the maxim gun.

How is a bullet proof vest dangerous? Do people in Oz have "attack fads"?

What's next, walking sticks with knobs on them?

Originally Posted By: Tempest
Interesting how cars never have that standard applied...

or roads. Princess Highway was to be duplicated by 1988, hasn't been, and isn't planned to be finished for another 7 years min. Dozens of deaths every year, year in, year out.

At a recent Sting concert, I saw signs in the arena [Wrigley Field] that no laser pointers were allowed.
On every guard's back [near the signs], there were a dozen laser dots wavering around.

Originally Posted By: moribundman
Are toothpicks still legal in OZ and the UK?

Are you referring to wooden cocktail sticks?

Originally Posted By: MarkC
Anything can become a weapon in the hands of someone who wants to use it as one.
Right. Will they have to ban screwdrivers next?

Wow! Never realized that you could get hand held laser pointers that were so powerful. After seeing this thread I found this site:

http://www.wickedlasers.com/

You can buy hand held lasers on that site powerful enough to light a cigarette!

No doubt these things need to be kept out of the hands of dummies.

Last edited:
Also, this company sells "the worlds most powerful flashlight"

Before: http://www.wickedlasers.com/images/products/torch/Wicked_Torch_03.jpg

After: http://www.wickedlasers.com/images/products/torch/Wicked_Torch_04.jpg

I like the how battery life is 15 minutes, though. Guess thats the price you pay for having a freaking helicopter spotlight in your hand.

Popular Mechanics reviewed this thing and it broke within minutes, due to the flashlight self-incinerating the battery contacts.
http://www.popularmechanics.com/blogs/technology_news/4252206.html

I'm imagining a funny scenario in my head where a policeman pulls someone over, asks to see their license, and pulls this thing out. "Whoops, I apologize, I just melted your license!"

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AcuraTech
You can buy hand held lasers on that site powerful enough to light a cigarette!

No doubt these things need to be kept out of the hands of dummies.

For an hour's work, you can install the laser diode from a DVD burner into a "torch/pointer", and burn holes in stuff.

Doesn't mean that DVD burners should be banned/controlled.

No, no. Not advocating a ban or anything. Guns can cause plenty of harm in the hands of criminals as well, but I don't advocate banning them either. Just saying that these things are powerful, and need to be kept out of the hands of idiots who do stupid things like shine them at planes. Not sure of a practical way to do that, but these things are definitely powerful. I'd like to have one as a cool toy to show off to friends.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AcuraTech
No, no. Not advocating a ban or anything. Guns can cause plenty of harm in the hands of criminals as well, but I don't advocate banning them either. Just saying that these things are powerful, and need to be kept out of the hands of idiots who do stupid things like shine them at planes. Not sure of a practical way to do that, but these things are definitely powerful. I'd like to have one as a cool toy to show off to friends.

I agree. I really wonder what legitimate use there is for a laser pointer that can burn holes in trash bags or light cigarettes. Trash bags don't need holes in them, and if you can burn one of those, a retina is an equally susceptible target. And a butane lighter will ignite smoking materials, without conferring the ability to blind the pilot of a Boeing 747 on short final.

I'm not a nanny-state advocate either, but really, can anyone articulate a real reason for "pointers" like this? I use a puny milliwatt model occasionally for presentations, and even it can dazzle you pretty well. I see no need at all to escalate to a "weapons grade" model.

Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster strapped to your hip.

Without making this a slam (in any way), one solution is to make them too expensive for the rabble to afford. We do this by placing the liability on the manufacturer through litigation. I guess you could just cut to the chase and smack them with a $100-400 "hazard" tax.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back