Laser-IR Temp Measurements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, a couple weeks ago, I found this little gem at Home Depot for $30 (US).

Laser-Temp-v1.jpg

Today, after a long run about town, with ambient temps in the high 80s, I returned home, and "lased" a series of temp measurements. For your consideration, here they are (all temps are F):

Oil on dipstick: 182
Bottom of oilpan: 185
1st Cat over ~12in: 300-520
Cyl H adj to exhaust ports: 285-291
Hyb Invrtr Coolant Rsvr: 140 (could see flowing fluid)
ICE coolant ovflo 138
Flng @ coolnt exit blk: 178
Baffle in oil filler 205
Deep in filler 197
Brake fluid res 160
Wndshld wash fld res 120

FWIW, this is after several errands about town, to the tune of about 17.5 miles.

Thoughts?

Yeah, I threw the WWF temp in there sorta for fun and for comparison. Long-time member Silber Igel got me thinking about this issue, and when I saw that tool for that price, well, I just had to. Anyway, he's in Texas, and so, should be seeing temps every bit as high as I am, but it appears he's not. Looks like he's a good 30F cooler than I am.

Very, very interesting. Now, let's all figure this out!
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: ekpolk
Yeah, I threw the WWF temp in there sorta for fun and for comparison. Long-time member Silber Igel got me thinking about this issue, and when I saw that tool for that price, well, I just had to. Anyway, he's in Texas, and so, should be seeing temps every bit as high as I am, but it appears he's not. Looks like he's a good 30F cooler than I am.

Very, very interesting. Now, let's all figure this out!
cheers3.gif

I would think if you added a WWF bypass filtration circuit your WWF temps would go down especially if routed through the AC duct work.

Wndshld wash fld res 120

With WWF temps that high, you should consider going to Synthetic WWF and add an external cooler.
wink.gif

Those IR thermometers are fun toys. After a 30 minute romp with my '07 Outback, I measured (degrees F):
coolant crossover pipe: 193
oil filter: 192
transmission pan (auto): 187

Well, here's another temp reading that got my attention: the roof of my son's 04 Prius (well, really mine, but...) after being parked in the Florida sun for several hours -- 187F!!! OK, the car is black, but still, that's only about 30F short of boiling water.

OK, perhaps I shouldn't have included windshield washer fluid temp -- an invite, I suppose, to NOT be taken seriously.

On a more realistic note, given the measurements on the dipstick and on the bottom of the oilpan, can I assume my running oil temps are in the 180-190 range? Note: this is substantially higher than member Silber Igel observed with his Camry Hybrid, in Texas. Who knows. . .

Well, here's another temp reading that got my attention: the roof of my son's 04 Prius (well, really mine, but...) after being parked in the Florida sun for several hours -- 187F!!! OK, the car is black, but still, that's only about 30F short of boiling water.

Throw a couple of eggs & 4 or 5 strips of bacon on there and make breakfast....
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: GROUCHO MARX
Colonel, there's been a lot of piling on in this thread. I didn't mean to start that. I knew you threw the WWF in as an under the hood comparison.

No problem, don't sweat it. Along the lines of not "sweating" it, when the laser is aimed deep into the main center AC vent in the middle of the dash, it reads a nice crisp 36F. I really like this electric AC. Its performance is not at all dependent upon engine rpms. The compressor gets its power from the traction battery, and can render the interior meat locker cold in short order on even the hottest day, with the car at a dead stop, and the engine at zero rpm.

Its performance is not at all dependent upon engine rpms.

Variable displacement compressors used in newer vehicles are like that as well.

Originally Posted By: PT1
BTW, my Harley TC88 after about 20 miles reads 230-260F on the rear cyl head...

My aircooled Virago XV750 runs 130'F above ambient... so a 70' day means 200' heads. Both jugs within 5 degrees of each other. Next time I mow the lawn I'm checking my briggs out!

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Originally Posted By: PT1
BTW, my Harley TC88 after about 20 miles reads 230-260F on the rear cyl head...

My aircooled Virago XV750 runs 130'F above ambient... so a 70' day means 200' heads. Both jugs within 5 degrees of each other. Next time I mow the lawn I'm checking my briggs out!

230-240F is normal operating temp for the HD TC88. Running below 200F is too cool.

Last edited:
EK,

Sorry... I just noticed this flashing letter on the screen.... NEVER seen that before.

I love that IR tool. It is sooo handy and entertaining. I've used it for all sorts of things. One is: checking to see that the house's heat pump is working. More than once its told me to call the repair dude BEFORE it has [censored] out completely. So much fun... hey! I wonder what the temp of the wiper blade is??? Oh Wow!!! How about the head light bulb???
LOL.gif

I've checked the OT several times now and I think the highest has been about 152 +/- after a 25 mile run on a near 90F day at 60-65. The thermostat housing is about 215F =/-. Cammy motors just don't run that hard. I think you would be hard pressed to run one hard enough to overheat one....

I'm wondering if a conventional 'dino' oil or GAG!!!
37.gif
a semi-syn wouldn't do just as well in these cars. Of course the only oils that are 0W-20 are syns. I think there's a real advantage to 0W-20 in these motors as they never get fully warmed up (OT anyway) and they are constantly starting and stopping so so called start up wear may be an issue.

Any thoughts, Gents??
12.gif

Works good for checking temp for cooking things to eat. I just cooked some pre-cooked fish that said to get the fish to at least 160F. When I shot the fish it was at 200F internally.
shocked2.gif

Lots of uses.....are your hands cold in the winter....shoot them for a quick temp reading.

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
Works good for checking temp for cooking things to eat. I just cooked some pre-cooked fish that said to get the fish to at least 160F. When I shot the fish it was at 200F internally.
shocked2.gif

Lots of uses.....are your hands cold in the winter....shoot them for a quick temp reading.

better to tell if the pan or the grill is hot enough than to check the temp of the food.

Originally Posted By: wapacz
Originally Posted By: oilboy123
shocked2.gif

better to tell if the pan or the grill is hot enough than to check the temp of the food.

I would rather know the temp of the fish, hamburger or pork than the pan temp. Seeing as you can get sick and die if the food temp is not high enough........
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back