Laser-IR Temp Measurements

Status
Not open for further replies.
The first thing I pulled out when starting my Corvair after it's 19 year sleep was the laser thermometer to watch things as they warmed up and make sure it was not overheating or anything. Most valuable usually is the oil filter temp, as that is the oil going back to lubricate, although in my air cooled engine I also checked the oil in the oil cooler. After running for a while I was running something like 88 to 92 C (as I remember) at the filter and about 20 to 25 C lower coming out of the oil cooler towards the bearings.

I've seen up to 158C at the filter at the end of a race in a car with the radiator blocked with mud.

I've also used it to test temperatures in gear boxes and differentials with different oils, wheel temperatures (shows if brakes are dragging), etc.
db_2009-3-10_engine_from_top1.jpg

Originally Posted By: wapacz
Originally Posted By: oilboy123
Works good for checking temp for cooking things to eat. I just cooked some pre-cooked fish that said to get the fish to at least 160F. When I shot the fish it was at 200F internally.
shocked2.gif

Lots of uses.....are your hands cold in the winter....shoot them for a quick temp reading.

better to tell if the pan or the grill is hot enough than to check the temp of the food.

I'm with Oilboy on this one -- I'm going to eat the food, not the grille. Potentially harmful organisms in the food are killed by temps in the food, not by nearby temps on the grille.

I split the meat or fish open then take a quick check...it works awesome.

I really don't care if the grill or pan is 5,000,000 F. All I care about is the meat temp.

Seems like the Laser IR gun prices are coming down pretty low. I will have to get another one at some point.

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
Seems like the Laser IR gun prices are coming down pretty low. I will have to get another one at some point.

Thirty bucks at Home Depot -- c'mon now -- you can hear it calling out to you, can't ya. . .
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back