Larry Larson Worlds fastest street car (again)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Simply amazing. He said if it was going to be unlimited he would show them unlimited.

I like his Nova more because of what it is (true steel), but this is just pure insane.

I predict this will run a 5 next year at Drag Week.

The comment that was an eye-opener was the run where he shut down at the eighth mile marker and turned 6.99 at the quarter.

I wonder how many gallons to the mile this rocket ship gets as a daily driver.

Fast but its not really a "street car". Just because some DMV in a lax state allows you to slap a plate on it doesn't make it a street car.

Last edited:
Lax DMV in some state? That truck drove over 1,000 miles on public streets in multiple states during Hot Rod Drag Week; it's an annual event in which participants drive to 7 different tracks in multiple states. It's absolutely a street car. It will pass any inspection and can cruise for hours on the streets like any other car, not overheat etc.

Last edited:
Absolutely a street car. Working lights, can pass inspection and can tow a trailer.

That thing is pretty awesome. Wonder what all the specs. Probably easy to find.

Time to require that all Drag Week cars start life on an assembly line instead of in a fab shop...now Larson is running what amounts to two different vehicles. (I recall a quote from him that he built & ran this "S-10" to SHOW how ridiculous it was getting.) It has officially gotten ridiculous.

Also note: according to someone who watched it happen, actually running Larson's truck at the track "isn't just a simple matter of bolting on the slicks, wheelie bars, and chutes, flipping some fuel feed valves, and changing the tune. It's a huge, time-consuming operation that involves most of the foregoing PLUS changing body parts, removing the cooling system, and installing a completely different fuel system (and probably several other things I didn't see)."

(And do not get me started on this year's sign-up fiasco, which was sold out in eight minutes.)

In fact, directly from one of the builders: "Larry and I built this thing as a clear (expletive) you to the Unlimited Rules. We believe that Unlimited should be about cars like Doug Cline's, or Larson's Chevy II, or Joe Barry's [censored] '56. Sure, our truck has steel bed sides, steel cab, steel doors (in street trim), along with the factory steel around the windshield complete with original VIN. BUT... we believe that this is not what street car drag racing should be. We were trying to send a message."

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Fast but its not really a "street car". Just because some DMV in a lax state allows you to slap a plate on it doesn't make it a street car.

Absolutely true.

A purpose built street racer is not really streetable, see Jarlaxle's list above. MANY parts are different for fast ET versus trips to the grocery store...

A street car is a car that can legally be on the street and his S10 is.

Is it a realistic street car? No.

I feel the same about the S10 as I do about the other Pro Mod cars, if someone wants to be beat to [censored] on a thousand mile drive then that is on them. The only rules are that the car is legal (they all are), they meet safety requirements and they complete the drive on their own.

With that said...

I do think there should be a rule that the vehicle should be in the same basic configuration on the track as it is on the street and wear DOT tires. I'm OK with a car having two fuel systems, as long as they both remain in the car. I'm OK with using two sets of tires because does anyone really want to put 1000 miles on a super sticky set of tires? Personally I want to see a car that could drive off the end of the track, pack up the chutes and pull out onto the highway. And the Nova did just that. That Nova is the pinnacle of a real street car.

I'll never forget hearing about him driving that car to Topeka, entering it in Comp (AA/AT) at the national event, qualifying, going a couple rounds and then driving home. At least that's how I heard the story.

His Nova ran 6's on DOT tires...he had no trailer, and ran 1000+ miles on his race tires! Track prep was, IIRC: install wheelie bars, window net, and parachute, turn a few valves to switch from the street fuel system (pump 93) to the race fuel system (Cam 2), probably swap plugs, and switch the ECM from the street to the race trim (IIRC, 2 minutes with an iPad). AFAIK, that's it aside from adjusting tire pressure.

Several of the faster cars are like that (as are most of the Pro Street and Super Street cars)...but the S-10 (deliberately) is not.

Correct, it deliberately is not like that. I hope they think about this for 2016 as they've already declared that 2015 will remain as is.

It's still a street car.

My idea of a street car that's fast doing the 1/4 mile is something like a ZR1 Corvette. AC, cruise control, power windows, my mother could drive it, I could drive it comfortably every day year round for years, runs on pump gas, etc.

My uncle can legally drive his track Camaro on the street but it would be horrible and expensive since race fuel is $10 a gallon around here.

It's all about what you are willing to endure.

Me, I love the idea of an old Nova with a Lenco on the street.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back