Large Tornadoes in NJ

Very rare we get a tornado of this size here. Actually I don’t think we ever have. This photo is from a friend's house about 20 mins away. Apparently there were 4 that touched down. We usually get high straight line winds or at most an F0.

6B3323B7-F8C8-480A-85BE-0E340CF2BC62.jpeg

240961071_2119182398219547_3280518143571631506_n.jpg

Last edited:
Flew LAX - JFK yesterday. Flew over/around the remnants of the hurricane. Arrived before it got bad.

EWR had to shut down operations due to flooding in the terminals.

I am glad you and your friend in NJ are ok.

We have trying to get in contact our niece out there but so far, no luck. Her husband is a Police Chief so I imagine he is busy.

Last edited:
Wow. I live in the most extreme core of tornado alley. That's just another day in paradise in my neck of the woods...but NJ? That's wild.

No offense meant at all, just solidifying your point that you aren't accustomed to getting them, the Fujita scale has been superseded by the Enhanced Fujita scale. A tornado is now rated "EF-0." It also made "5"s more common/attainable. I much preferred the old way...

I flew out of Philly yesterday morning before the storm hit hard. My security cameras don't show anything unusual at home. Hope my sump pump did its job. It's 20 years old. Maybe time for a new one or are the new ones junk and better off with battery powered back up pump...

I moved from NJ to Missouri 2 years ago and since then NJ has had many more tornadoes than Missouri.
I expected the opposite.
Yeah, I did too when we moved from New York to South Carolina 15 years ago and researched it before we chose the area in SC which is almost zero tornados and when there is one within 50 miles its like an EF 0 to EF 1
Never really expected to read more about them in NY and NJ yet I do!

It's all about atmospheric setup.,..

Given spin in upper levels from decaying low pressure to the South and west of New Jersey and moist inflow from South and southeast ahead of that low pressure and adding a approaching cold front with cold air aloft and sunshine and ample surface warmth.... Voila... You get tornadoes.

A larger tornado hit Northeast of my area on the northern neck yesterday afternoon.

We had a EF-4 tornado in August of 1993.
That's not the prime time for big time tornadoes. But the atmospheric setup was totally set up for a large scale event which did happen.

A EF-4 tornado hit La Plata Maryland in 2002 I think. A totally surprising situation which is non typical there too.

A large violent tornado hit Worcester Massachusetts in the early 1950s.... That one killed a lot of people too.

Anytime your area is located on the Eastern side of a low pressure or decaying tropical system.... Pay very, very close attention to the weather and radar. Especially if it gets sunny that day too. That helps destabilize the atmosphere even more.

I lived on the edge of tornado alley when a kid. Tornado warnings and knowing they were in the area was scary.

We had an EF-2 roll through my daughter’s neighborhood but thankfully missed her house. Her local PD building wasn’t as fortunate.

The one that went through Mullica Hill was an EF3.

240511411_4241257175952415_824472519206225048_n.png

Back