Large rear wheels on push mowers

Status
Not open for further replies.
They can if it's decently built. We had a cheapo spoked-rear wheel pusher years ago, where things got so sloppy on the rear axle that I had to do a custom job on it with threaded rod. That didn't last but a year or two as well.
frown.gif

More adjustment combinations can be had with larger rear wheels, since the rear wheels are usually adjustable as well.

I too like the larger diameter wheeled mowers for rough yards.

It works best on rougher terrain. Simple physics...the same obstruction will influence a larger wheel less than it will a smaller wheel. Think of a example of extremes: put a pebble in front of a Hot Wheels tire. Note the path that small tire has to take to cross the pebble: straight up, across, and then back down. Now put that same pebble in the path of a bicycle wheel...even just a naked wheel without the soft tire. That large bicycle wheel registers just a slight blip as it crosses the pebble.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
More adjustment combinations can be had with larger rear wheels, since the rear wheels are usually adjustable as well.

I too like the larger diameter wheeled mowers for rough yards.

I haven't seen many push mowers WITHOUT four wheel adjustment.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Do large rear wheels really roll better?

I prefer the symmetrical look of having all 4 wheels the same size.

I thought the sales pitch for larger rear wheels was easier to turn? I dont think they would benefit how the machine actually rolled. The rolling would depend ball bearing construction, etc.

I wouldn't buy a machine with larger rear wheels unless you actually knew it would provide measurable benefit. Otherwise, like you said it looks silly...

Originally Posted By: thunderfog
On rougher terrain? Yes.

I have had both and prefer the same size wheels on all four. But rough terrain maybe an exception.

I have one and my yard is pretty smooth and it seems to turn very well
It is a mower so who cares what it looks like
Only here would that come up

Mine has large wheels and I love it. But then again I got it on clearance for less than $100. What was not to love

The physics has already proved itself. Look at tractors. Of course they have the additional traction benefit, but the extra surface area on the ground also helps when they are carrying heavy weight on the hitch.

When the mower is being turned, the front needs picked up and it puts more weight on the rear wheels. The distribution of the weight makes the turning easier.

And yes they do better on rougher yards too. Not that the mower cares, but who likes a scalped yard?

It makes a huge difference if your yard isn't smooth. The larger-wheeled mowers are much easier to push. Turning is a moot point.

As far as I've ever seen the only mowers with all four wheels being the same size are El Cheapo mowers and rear-driven self-propelled mowers.

Given a choice I'd certainly choose a push mower with large rear wheels.

On rougher terrain? Yes.

That leads me to wonder why people would want an uneven surface. Before I plant grass, I always do everything I possibly can to get the ground smooth and level.

My Toro recycler mower is front wheel drive with the larger rear wheels. I have found that this combination suits my needs best. The larger rear wheels and front wheel drive make it easier to maneuver around obstacles and tight areas. It seems to pivot back and forth much easier with the larger wheels when the mower is tipped up. Front wheel drive mowers aren't ideal for large hills, but luckily my yard is fairly flat, and I could mow most of it comfortably with the walk behind if I had to.

I fix mowers on the side and have had the opportunity to test out a lot of different mowers. I have to say the Toro is still my favorite.

bigger wheels roll easier. It also makes the effects of bad bearings less noticeable, you will suffer less with larger wheels. And of course bigger wheels are nice on bumpy yards.

However, I would not pick a lower grade mower over a pro grade just because of the rear wheels..

My 10 year old Craftsman push mower has taller rears. Makes it easy to turn in tight places.

I use 2-3 times a month year-round.

Do large rear wheels really roll better?

I prefer the symmetrical look of having all 4 wheels the same size.

But if you have larger rear wheels, you can set the rears on the highest setting and the fronts on a low setting and make it look like the 1978 Cutlass Supreme you drove in high school. Maybe add some traction bars to the rear axle for launches.
grin.gif

On rougher terrain? Yes.

That leads me to wonder why people would want an uneven surface. Before I plant grass, I always do everything I possibly can to get the ground smooth and level.

It's impossible to avoid here in West Virginia. Level yards are also hard to come by.

My Florida property is very rough. Roots, growth, small rocks and debris everywhere. I have a mower with large rear wheels. It does not perform better for me. In fact, those large wheels are a pain, as they get in the way of mowing under branches.

People don't usually CHOOSE an uneven surface...it's just something that develops as a yard ages, especially if there are trees involved. In the 10 years we've owned our house, a lot of roots have surfaced...our yard used to be a completely smooth cut, but not as much any more.

The summer of 2007 or 2008 killed us. It was super dry, no watering allowed, and that's the summer that most of the roots surfaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back