Laptop freezes after first start up, then works fine after second start

This is a 4-5 year old Dell E6230 that I bought used 3 year ago. It's on Windows 10 and has a SSD. About a minute after I start it, it freezes up. I then hold down the power button until it shuts off, then restart it. Then it works fine. Same thing happens when it's been in sleep mode. I've run the usual virus scans. It's not a terrible inconvenience, but annoying never the less. Don't remember when this started but not worth taking it in to a shop. Any idea for the cause and what to do to stop it?

If you used Amsoil at 5,000 mile oil change intervals and a Fram XG oil filter the problem wouldn't have happened. Maybe the little battery that keeps the memory is dead? A new laptop is always good.

My wifes HP would do the same thing only it wasnt a freeze up issue, the display would just show "static/snow" with no "picture" she would then do a forced shut down and turn it back on, everytime she did this it worked. This went on for months since it wasnt a big deal to her.
I figured it was a driver for something or firmware after a windows update.

Anyway, finally got around to downloading HP's (in this case, yours would be Dell) update software, had it check for updates and sure enough, system did a few updates and its never happened again, this was about a month ago. So safe to say a driver or firmware update in those updates fixed the issue.

What I would do is know your model/serial number and go to Dells website and see what firmware and software updates are available for it. I am sure it will fix the issue. Im sure the Dell site will be very complete as HP is as well, one nice thing about major brands is updating a device.

Are you sure that the laptop is totally off the times when it wont start? Try popping the battery out and putting it back in (unplugged) before you try to start it. If it always starts after you do that, then you've probably got a problem with hybrid-sleep or one of the other sleep/hibernate modes in Windows 10. Like alarmguy mentioned, drivers can interfere.

I would check what you have setup in your startup items folder. Maybe some software that takes a while to launch the first time you boot up. Remove anything not needed. Ccleaner has a good interface for checking and disabling start up items.

Back up everything. Eventually it won't boot up.

Cold circuits. Time to replace the motherboard, memory, cpu, or track down the bad solder points. Sometimes a good contact cleaning and disconnect/reconnect of the memory/harddrive/cpu/ and cables can reduce the issues.

My recommendation, to rule out software, is to make sure you have the latest bios, updated operating system/software/programs, and a well cleaned and defrag'd harddrive. Make sure bios is set to boot on harddrive 1st and skip cd/dvd/usb/externals.

SSD's are hit/miss, especially the older ones. Might be time to verify the model/brand/make and see if the SSD has known hardware or software issues.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/product-support/product/latitude-e6230/drivers

And, free bug scanners:

Reactions: JC1
All good advice. I'll update the drivers when I get back home next week, but I think I tried that a year ago.
Will remove the battery tonight and see what it does tomorrow.
Nothing important on it. I use it mostly for VW Vag-Com and once for Volvo VIDA/Dice. The rest of the time is for getting on the internet when away from home.
Wouldn't know what to look for in Windows logs nor how to see them.

This is a 4-5 year old Dell E6230 that I bought used 3 year ago. It's on Windows 10 and has a SSD. About a minute after I start it, it freezes up. I then hold down the power button until it shuts off, then restart it. Then it works fine. Same thing happens when it's been in sleep mode. I've run the usual virus scans. It's not a terrible inconvenience, but annoying never the less. Don't remember when this started but not worth taking it in to a shop. Any idea for the cause and what to do to stop it?

Windows 10 "shutdown" doesn't actually shutdown the computer. I've experienced this issue on several older computers. Try the following:

1. Click Start then starting typing "Control Panel" to bring up the legacy Control Panel
2. Click "View by" in the top right and choose "Small Icons"
3. In the list, choose "Power Options"
4. Click "Choose what the power buttons do" from the list on the left
5. Click the link for "Change settings that are currently unavailable"
6. Uncheck "Turn on fast startup (recommended)"
7. Uncheck "Sleep"
8. Click "Save changes" at the bottom

Shut down. See if the problem is solved when you power it back up.

Reactions: JC1
is a 4-5 year old Dell E6230 that I bought used 3 year ago. It's on Windows 10 and has a SSD. About a minute after I start it, it freezes up. I then hold down the power button until it shuts off, then restart it. Then it works fine. Same thing happens when it's been in sleep mode. I've run the usual virus scans. It's not a terrible inconvenience, but annoying never the less. Don't remember when this started but not worth taking it in to a shop. Any idea for the cause and what to do to stop i
It sounds like there is some power issue or HDD / SSD boot up timing issue. I don't think this is software if it is like this every single boot.

Your BIOS/Firmware update likely change the wait time or initial boot settings to make it work. Sometimes during boot they run different speed and power profile for compatibility reason (they don't know what is build with until they check the ID on each components, or load the power and speed profile of components from itself at lower speed first, then use it to speed up reliably).

Sounds like they got it fixed now, great.

Up until the part about VAG COM (nee VCDS) i was going to suggest dropping it off the balcony and getting a MAC...

Now, Drop it off the balcony and get a Toughbook....

But overkill probably has a better idea, or at least its cheaper...

Same thing with our Dell XPS15. Getting tired of calling Dell tech support and doing a 6 hour software wipe, reinstall, complete update.
As noted it's probably not a software issue. Components are going south.

Windows 10 "shutdown" doesn't actually shutdown the computer. I've experienced this issue on several older computers. Try the following:

1. Click Start then starting typing "Control Panel" to bring up the legacy Control Panel
7. Uncheck "Sleep"

Tried that last night and I think it worked. This morning when I started it up, it didn't freeze. Thanks for the advice.

7. Uncheck "Sleep"

Worked on my Dell as well !

Many thanks Overkill.

Back