Laptop battery says it is charging but isn't?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Sony laptop with a relatively new battery that was working fine before. But within the past few days it has stopped holding a charge, maybe? Here is what's going on, I have the AC adapter plugged in to charge the battery, the icon on the toolbar says it is charging and the percentage is going up. But when I unplug the AC adapter the computer shuts off. I turn the computer back on and the battery is at 0% and says it is charging again. Also, the battery and underneath the laptop gets very hot, in places where it was not before this has started. What is happening?

Your battery is dead. What I've learned to do to pro long battery life of a laptop is to keep it out of the computer when I'm running the laptop from an AC outlet.

This reduces the amount of charge cycles and prolongs battery life.

It also reduces laptop temperature and probably pro longs life of other components, not mention making the laptop lighter to carry around.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Spartuss
Your battery is dead. What I've learned to do to pro long battery life of a laptop is to keep it out of the computer when I'm running the laptop from an AC outlet.

It also reduces laptop temperature and probably pro longs life of other components, not mention making the laptop lighter to carry around.

Originally Posted By: Onmo'Eegusee
Also, I would remove that battery before it starts a fire or ruins the charging electronics.

+1
thumbsup2.gif
Great advice

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Originally Posted By: Spartuss

Originally Posted By: Onmo'Eegusee
Also, I would remove that battery before it starts a fire or ruins the charging electronics.

+1
thumbsup2.gif
Great advice

Exactly, this is what I have been doing since I got this new battery, I have had the new battery for 4 months and it has only been in the computer about 10 times. My laptop is stationary most of the time and I only use the battery when I move the laptop.

This is an after market battery, not an OEM replacement. I think something inside the battery has shorted out causing the heat because my original battery never got hot even when it stopped holding a charge.

I will probably order the OEM made in Japan battery then another [censored] made in China one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back