Laptop Advice Needed-Part2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't want to hijack The Critic's thread by asking a question so I started a new one. I've been following the advice given to him. My 16 year old wants a laptop mainly for gaming, he's big into World of Warcraft. Specifically he wants an Alienware gaming laptop. I found some reviews online and like most things they are all over the map, from great to horrendous. They are quite pricey but I'm willing to spend it if they're worth the money. Anyone have any experiences with them? Thanks.

I have a Sentia M3200. It is more of a business laptop, although it is quite fast. I have never had any problems with this one, but like everything else certain problems tend to follow certain equipment. I love my Alienware, but do admit that I didnt need it, a regular old Dell or HP would have worked just fine. Alienwares are built for gaming, so if he wants to game this would probably be the cheapest line to choose from. My little brother is a big WOWer and he plays on his HP desktop, but did add an azzload of RAM to it. That is my advice, and it is worth what you paid for it.

I appreciate it very much 97f150. The desktop it's on now is about 3.5 years old and it's not playing real smooth. I don't mind spending the money for a good one. I'm just trying to see if I can get the equivalent in an HP or Dell for a little less.

Is he sure he can't live with a desktop system? Notebooks/Laptops are great for mobility, but most gamers buy for power and upgradeablity.

A solid desktop will give him more initial computing power for the same price, more configuration flexibility, and much more ability to make critical upgrades (e.g. faster video) later. He will have a significantly bigger monitor and better input devices to play on. And he'll have a system that is likely more durable under the higher stresses of gaming computing (heat).

A new desktop is in the works also, to replace the current one. He wants it for the portability, plus it's ime to add a third computer. 12 year old daughter is always on my laptop, she's an IM'ing machine.

I've seen one of the Alienware laptops, and I was most decidedly UNDERwhelmed.

For that kind of money, I would spring for a high-end Panasonic Toughbook any day, or even one of the higher-end ThinkPads (ie, the T60).

With a game like WoW, the performance issues are going to lie mainly in your Internet connection speed, anyway. Any modern Duo Core laptop should be able to handle it.

Thanks Hardbody. I've not been able to find many people with hands on experience with an Alienware.Just you and 97f150, one pro and one con. I'm in agreement that a good notebook with the Duo Core and a couple gigs of memory should work well. I'm just trying to research all the options. I do appreciate your response.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

A good read. Thanks.

Yep, its a good honest read into "marketing" in America.
So true with just about every hiche product sold. Produce a product that noone needs and market it to make it look like life wouldn't exist without it.

BTW, what 16 year old needs or deserves a $3k laptop? You'd be better off investing in a library card.

Buy the kid a real desktop for his gaming. Get 'im a suitcase and a boot in the @$$ for mobile gaming.

I agree that a desktop setup with a top-notch video card will provide more robust gaming fun. Two years from now, popping in a new video card can bring the PC to life for another 2 more years. That's something you just can't do with a laptop!

If a laptop is the only option, I suggest looking for the following spec's:
--Core2Duo 2.0GHZ or higher with 4MB cache
--2GB RAM
--7200rpm disk drive
--Dedicated video (this one is where you have to do the most homework. Tom's Hardware.com has lotsa reviews to figure out what is better/faster, etc)
--"brite" "glossy" or LED screen
--Windows Vista Home premium (or XP if you prefer that over Vista)
--Wired optical USB mouse

Alienware *might* offer something better than the rest of the crowd. Do your homework and compare, compare, compare to get the best bang for the buck.

Good luck!

Quote:

BTW, what 16 year old needs or deserves a $3k laptop?

Not that it's any right of yours to question what I think my son deserves or needs but he is a straight A student, starting forward on his high school varsity soccer team, and a soccer referee who gets paid to ref games. I would never question what a parent thinks their child needs or deserves, as long as it's legal and not harmful to the kid.But that's just me.

Quote:

I agree that a desktop setup with a top-notch video card will provide more robust gaming fun. Two years from now, popping in a new video card can bring the PC to life for another 2 more years. That's something you just can't do with a laptop!

If a laptop is the only option, I suggest looking for the following spec's:
--Core2Duo 2.0GHZ or higher with 4MB cache
--2GB RAM
--7200rpm disk drive
--Dedicated video (this one is where you have to do the most homework. Tom's Hardware.com has lotsa reviews to figure out what is better/faster, etc)
--"brite" "glossy" or LED screen
--Windows Vista Home premium (or XP if you prefer that over Vista)
--Wired optical USB mouse

Alienware *might* offer something better than the rest of the crowd. Do your homework and compare, compare, compare to get the best bang for the buck.

Good luck!

Thank you. I've been doing a ton of research. A laptop isn't the only option since I plan on a new desktop also but I would like to get him one for the portability.

Hey guys, thanks for all the help on the notebook.

farrarfan1, I picked up a Dell Inspiron 1520 with 2GB of ram, 160GB Hard Drive, Vista Premium, Bluetooth, DVD-RW, and extended battery (4hr+ life)for $743 a few weeks ago. I chose integrated graphics and the Core 2 Duo T5250 processor though. Dell offers an upgrade to the T7300 processor and the 8600m GT video card (dedicated) for about another $400. I think this laptop will be very suitable for your son's needs.

Quote:

Hey guys, thanks for all the help on the notebook.

farrarfan1, I picked up a Dell Inspiron 1520 with 2GB of ram, 160GB Hard Drive, Vista Premium, Bluetooth, DVD-RW, and extended battery (4hr+ life)for $743 a few weeks ago. I chose integrated graphics and the Core 2 Duo T5250 processor though. Dell offers an upgrade to the T7300 processor and the 8600m GT video card (dedicated) for about another $400. I think this laptop will be very suitable for your son's needs.

Thanks Critic, Dell is one I'm looking at. I started a seperate thread because I didn't want to hijack yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back