Landscaping advice - flagstone walkway edging

I need to install some edging on this flagstone walkway to keep it clear of grass. I can't come up with anything brilliant other than to put in some plastic edging and then fill it with pea gravel. Any other great ideas?

We laid it about 15 years ago and it's been fine, but the last several years my parents didn't maintain it and it got subsumed by grass and quite a lot of dirt. I got inspired the other day and dug it all out and put an edge on the grass sides. Now I need a low-maintenance way to keep it that way.

IMG-3544.jpg

The only issue with pea gravel or gravel will move around and get into the grass. What a about putting limestone screenings compacted on the sides.

You could remove some lawn on that one side and create a flower bed. The edge where it transitions to lawn could then be edged with bricks or other materials of your choice.

You can also incorporate a sitting bench somewhere too.

I was going to say the same... metal edging looks cool. I actually prefer those to have the grass. Keeps mud away.

The metal edging looks better than the plastic I have seen; wasn't aware of that.

Well it got decided before I even got moving this morning; dad went to a few places and scared up a bunch of Viggoro fiberboard edging and 500lbs of pea gravel.

Putting in the edging isn't a big deal, but digging out the soil enough to make a depression for the gravel is tedious work. And my dad is 74 and I have a back injury still pretty painful from being rear-ended six weeks ago. Oh well, that's what tramadol is for... ;)

Looks good. Unfortunately I didn't take a "before" picture about how subsumed the stones were from grass and dirt. A witty neighbor walked over this morning to chat and saw what was going in progress. She moved in about six years ago and hadn't see it before that. She quipped, "Oh, exciting. This is like archaeology! I had no idea you had something so substantial in there!"

IMG-3545.jpg

Back