Landing in Honduras

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of my good friends in the USMC Reserve is a pilot for a major carrier (hint: see the first link, posted above...). As he describes Tegucigalpa, there are pilots who have gone around, and those who will go around. IIRC from what he said, that runway is around 5k feet long, waaaaaaaay short for normal airline ops. As I understand his recitation of his company's policy, if you're not solidly planted on the ground by that horizontal line of marks across the threshold of the runway, you just go around and try again. And of the current inventory, only 757s dare to go there...

They don't call that place "Top-Gun-tin" for nothing. One of those airports where crashes are almost a regular occurrence.

There's a video out there with the cam in the cockpit as the pilot is landing at Toncontin. The Sink Rate warning is going off and they hit a rain squall just before touchdown. You can hear the pilot go, "WHEW!!" after they land. Good stuff!

From a pilot who is specially qualified for operations at this airport (you actually have to be!)

"If you dont hear all the alarms......."Terrain Terrain" ...."pull Up".......etc you are coming in high on the approach.(Visual App that is.)"

No night operations conducted.

Why is it there? I don't see a terrain/technological problem there. This has to have some cultural component.

I have friends in San Pedro Sula.
It is popular around there to get close to the hills/mountains and view the airplane approaches. It is close!
But his one was apparently from an abnormally wet runway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back