Lake Tahoe Sailboat

Status
Not open for further replies.
25 of us chartered a 50 foot sailboat on Lake Tahoe for an afternoon. We started off with no wind, by 1/2 hour into our journey we had wind.
DSC04526.jpg

IMG_2153.jpg

Cratered it from these guys.
http://www.tahoesail.com/

The boat is a Santa Cruz 50 designed for the Transpacific race. This particular boat ran the Transpacific race a few times, but I don't remember when or how well it did. The race is usually Southern California to Hawaii although it has been ran fron San Francisco to Hawaii.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Cruz_Yachts

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: paul246
You sure arn't going to win any races with that form. But you will stay cool.

They do well in races, read the Wiki article I linked to

Refering to the TransPacific race from SoCal to Hawaii...
Quote:
In 1981 Merlin again won the Transpac, but this time seven of the top ten finishes were the Santa Cruz 50,

They swept their class this year in the Transpac.

Last edited:
Water temperature is running about 70F at the surface this time of year. Deeper it's a lot colder. A few hundred feet down it never changes from 39F.

Air temperature on the lake was close to 80F the day we went out, about 85F at the beach.

Originally Posted By: XS650
You sure arn't going to win any races with that form. But you will stay cool.

They do well in races, read the Wiki article I linked to

Refering to the TransPacific race from SoCal to Hawaii...
Quote:
In 1981 Merlin again won the Transpac, but this time seven of the top ten finishes were the Santa Cruz 50,

I'm referring to the second picture, not the boat's history. Burying the topsides in water will only create unnecessary drag in addition to being well outside the optimum of the hull's performance profile.

I'm referring to the second picture, not the boat's history. Burying the topsides in water will only create unnecessary drag in addition to being well outside the optimum of the hull's performance profile. [/quote]

Can't disagree with that.

Originally Posted By: moribundman
Maybe the skipper wanted to scare the landlubbers.
LOL.gif

No one spilled their drinks, it didn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back