Lake McDonald Glacier National Park

wwillson

Staff member
More posts coming on Glacier National Park as I get time to add them.

Enjoy

We visited Glacier several years ago. I really enjoyed it and hope to go back someday.

We were almost taking pics from the same place! 2018 roadtrip.

1618198855443.jpg

Great post Wayne. I can’t wait to get back to Glacier National Park. Went there on a road trip in summer of 2017 but were unable to get to the Going to the Sun Road as it was still snowed in, only saw about 1/3 of the park on the west and east sides.

Here’s some pics of when I was there.
7CE3C023-E8DB-47AF-938D-149FA176E776.jpeg

D0337AE5-918F-4143-90FF-C14A1BD0590B.jpeg

6194CAC8-54E1-42E4-9A47-DB4A2C112301.jpeg

Definitely some of the most beautiful scenery in the lower 48. I backpacked in Glacier in my early twenties and after getting there and seeing all the warnings about grizzlies and food storage/cooking regulations, I was a lot more nervous. More so after learning that one of the members of our party was illegally (back then) packing a .44 magnum. We didn't see any sign of bears but we did run across some nearly tame mountain goats and a bunch of marmots. Good memories.

Didn't understand that sunset didn't mean when the sun went behind the mountains and had fun time on Going to the Sun the day it opened with two screaming kids in a van. Almost dark. Mid nineties. Had a night terror that night in a Lethbridge hotel.

Definitely some of the most beautiful scenery in the lower 48. I backpacked in Glacier in my early twenties and after getting there and seeing all the warnings about grizzlies and food storage/cooking regulations, I was a lot more nervous. More so after learning that one of the members of our party was illegally (back then) packing a .44 magnum. We didn't see any sign of bears but we did run across some nearly tame mountain goats and a bunch of marmots. Good memories.
When I was there in 2017 I saw a bear and her cub, picture taken with my iPhone so not the best.

17B34DA4-EA12-44AB-A88C-DD9A04E62AAC.jpeg

We had similar experiences a few years back. Went to Glacier too soon as the Road to the Sun was closed. We hope to get out there this summer while we are out scouting retirement locations...

It's a nice place, but a bit overcrowded (as are most National Parks these days). Inlaws have a place right on the shore of Flathead Lake.

It's a nice place, but a bit overcrowded (as are most National Parks these days).
We arrived at Logan Pass about 6:30AM (got up at 5:00AM) to find an almost full parking lot. We parked and hiked the Highline trail, but if we had arrived much later the lot probably would have been full. We routinely get up early to avoid the crowds in national parks.

Many years ago I road a Yamaha 650 Seca through the Going to the Sun road from the Lake McDonald side when it first opened for the season. Near the the Summit there was a lot of snow on the road. After a break at the top, I gathered enough liquid courage to continue east and rode through some snow and back to dry pavement.

GTS Road.JPG

Motorcycle+snow+Going to the Sun Road=NO

I would have turned back at the slightest hint of snow or ice on the road.

I camped out in Glacier National Park with some friends in the summer of 1977....It really is a beautiful spot....I plan on returning but I didn't think it would be almost 50 years later....

Back