Lack of knowledge when running an Auto Parts store?

Stopped in this morning to my local Advance Auto to hoard more of the Rotella Gas Truck Motor Oil that they have marked super low for the full synthetic oil. Asked for the manager -- pertaining -- picked up 10 single quarts on Sunday and they were already in a box waiting for me. I ordered online 10 quarts of 0W20 and when I got home to put them away -- 8 quarts were 0W20 and 2 quarts were 5W30. So I asked for the Manger to exchange the 2 quarts of 5W30 for what I originally ordered. Moving forward, Manager had no problem with doing that and told me -- " you know, you cant run this oil in a car -- its specifically just for trucks!!!" I just smiled at him -- grabbed my other box of 10 quarts of 0W20 -- which I looked at each quart before I left and rolled out. I would think being a Manager at one of these locations -- you would have some kinda overall knowledge of who and what is going on with pretty much all aspects of cars and trucks???

I nabbed six quarts of RGT 5W-20 yesterday and after my military discount it was almost free. I submitted the rebate on line. If that comes I will have been paid to buy them. I almost never ask any questions in an auto parts store.

Reactions: JC1
Modern chain store parts managers are there to run the store with minimum labor & to put out fires as they happen. As long as the store makes the numbers, corporate is happy. Don't rely on these guys to know anything- if it isn't in the computer, they don't have a clue

I would think being a Manager at one of these locations -- you would have some kinda overall knowledge of who and what is going on with pretty much all aspects of cars and trucks???
No, no, and no. In today's society, for liability reasons alone, they actually shouldn't give you any advice because even if they're right and a person screws it up, they'll just cry, "but the guy at the parts store told me what to do". Their job is to order inventory (or their system does it automatically), schedule employees, help customers with the parts they need (as in, "I need a starter for a '78 Camaro with XXX engine"), and other aspects of managing the store. Of course that doesn't mean many won't give advice or tell you how to do things.

I worked at an electrical supply house when I was younger and at the parts counter we were told by management that "you are not an electrician". That wasn't an insult either, it was an instruction. The real electricians came in with a list of items and we got them for them. The DIY'er came in and said "I need to do this with that but don't know how or what I need". To those, we responded "I can recommend a few great electricians that do residential work". :ROFLMAO:

I’ve got Rotella Gas Truck in my Jeep. Uh oh, it isn’t a truck. I hope it turns out ok. :ROFLMAO:

Everyone knows the joke about going in to buy wiper blades at a parts store and they ask “2 or 4 wheel drive?”

I had that a couple weeks ago I went in to Auto Zone and said “I need a thermostat for a 1996 Jeep Cherokee 4.0” and they asked if it was 4x4 or not.🤔

In their defense, their computer lookup system probably makes them navigate that deep into the vehicle specs. You could have walked to the wiper blade aisle and used the mini-lookup device or the flip-catalog and avoided all that though.

In their defense, their computer lookup system probably makes them navigate that deep into the vehicle specs. You could have walked to the wiper blade aisle and used the mini-lookup device or the flip-catalog and avoided all that though.
I already know it takes 18” wipers, but I was there for a thermostat. The meme on the internet is for wipers though.

Listen - the older you get the more you will just say "ok" to people like this and keep moving. You'll understand that you've got limited time on this Earth and limited free time at that. Your to-do list will soon get 2 miles long, not 1 mile long and comments from hourly workers will just slow you down if you let it. I have found that saying "ok" to nearly every come back, question or whatever will keep you moving and them quiet.

And most techs aren't techs, they're parts changers.

When anyone calls themselves a "tech" the first thing in my mind is a wannabe mechanic parts changer trying to put a fancy name on the job like sanitary engineer for a janitor. The title mechanic doesn't get you very far with the arts and croissants crowd.

Like the maintenance engineers at the motel. My room ac was dead. This guy was also brain dead, Long story, no time. Lets just say his ability to use the correct end of a toilet plunger was in doubt.

Rod

It always amazes me how companies like AAP and HD, just two examples, are as successful as they are considering the quality of the help they hire. At least in this neck of the woods. I imagine they'd be even more successful if they hired knowledgeable help. Don't get me wrong on occasion I will stumble upon someone who actually knows something, but that is the exception, not the norm around here.

It always amazes me how companies like AAP and HD, just two examples, are as successful as they are considering the quality of the help they hire. At least in this neck of the woods. I imagine they'd be even more successful if they hired knowledgeable help. Don't get me wrong on occasion I will stumble upon someone who actually knows something, but that is the exception, not the norm around here.
Just like Walmart they have high turnover of employees. Sure there’s some smart people working at AAP and Home Depot but they don’t last long.

12E2B4B4-AEE5-47CA-970C-447BADE2E206.jpeg

Back