Labor hour for wheel bearing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know where I can lookup my own labor hour times for repair?

I need to get a front left wheel bearing (w/o abs) installed in my 03 saturn, and was deciding between getting it fixed somewhere versus doing it myself..

Or if anyone has access to labor guides, shoot me a pm that would be great.
Thanks,
Justin

I wish I could decipher the receipt from the small shop around the corner that did my 2001 Windstar, but it was ~$230 total for the front left with Car Quest parts. I'm sure this guy bangs them out in under an hour. Local Ford dealer would have been close to twice that.

Joel

Originally Posted By: JTK
I wish I could decipher the receipt from the small shop around the corner that did my 2001 Windstar, but it was ~$230 total for the front left with Car Quest parts. I'm sure this guy bangs them out in under an hour. Local Ford dealer would have been close to twice that.

Joel

What does your tech get per hour?

I have a guy who used to own a shop on transit, but sold the shop, and does work out of his home garage for 50 per hour cash. He is in lancaster, PM me if you are interested..

Thanks Justin. The guy around the corner from me basically quotes you a total cost. He's over on Davis Rd (Rt240). I've never asked him what his hourly rate is, but I'd assume it's got to be around $65-75/hr. I'm only a couple miles from where Transit begins (or ends?) in OP. It's good to have a source of good shops.

Joel

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JustinH

I need to get a front left wheel bearing (w/o abs) installed in my 03 saturn, and was deciding between getting it fixed somewhere versus doing it myself..

Thanks,
Justin

Most likly like any other newer GM bearing might be able to do it at my house depending on time..its up to You as I am in the village of Sloan (between Buffalo & Cheektowaga)

Originally Posted By: freeze12
Originally Posted By: JustinH

Thanks,
Justin

Thanks Dan,

I think I'm going crazy. I washed the car, and noticed that the wheel cover in the front had two loose plastic nuts. I tightened them up by hand, now its not making the noise.

I'm going to jack it up, rotate the tires, and see if I solved the problem "was it all in my head?"

THANKS
Most likly like any other newer GM bearing might be able to do it at my house depending on time..its up to You as I am in the village of Sloan (between Buffalo & Cheektowaga)

Some may charge $50 per hour and take 4 hours to do a one hour job. A reasonable shop needs a mechanic with some experience AND the tools to expedite the job. Personally like to see a flat-rate value.

I changed one in an old Cavalier and it's a straightforward DIY job. You need a big deepwell socket (I think 30mm but not sure), and the trick is to loosen and remove the big center axle nut while the car is setting on the ground and someone holding the brakes. Then jack the car up and there are I think 3 bolts that hold the assembly to the knuckle. It took me about an hour or maybe a little more start to finish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back