Lab tests 20 popular proteins bars and ranks them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Zee09
I just got back from the store and didn't get any because they like to load them up with sugar.
Yuck!

Their #1 rated Quest Bar has 1g sugar
crazy.gif

I've always been on the fence about Labdoor. I'm not a big fan of the Thanedar family or their business style, but personalities aside, Labdoor makes their money by seeking promotion and endorsement of the companies and products that do well in their testing.

That's the exact opposite of other not-for-profit consumer advocacy groups. The idea is that it's impossible to maintain objectivity in product testing when paid promotion is what's keeping the lights on.

The Quest bars taste pretty good. The only reason I veered away from them a little bit was because the price kept climbing. About $2.50/bar while the Pure Protein ones are around $1 or so.

people still eat protein bars?

I thought they were just a fad given how unhealthy (garbage ingredients) and unbalanced (nutritionally) they are.
coffee2.gif

Never got the obsession with protein bars. It's a candy bar, the excess of protein is going to end up as sugar and extra urea.
A candy bar is a candy bar.

Originally Posted by Dyusik
Never got the obsession with protein bars. It's a candy bar, the excess of protein is going to end up as sugar and extra urea.

Very uninformed post.

Expect the protein bar game to change significantly once Allulose becomes cheaper. Quest Hero bars have it and they taste like real sugar candy with only a fraction of the carb hit.

But these bars are really meant for people who are literally so busy that they can't sit down for 20 mins to have real food. Anyone with an otherwise normal diet is already getting adequate protein through most foods now.

And there are cases where you might as well eat a Snickers or Payday because some protein bars are not healthy when you compare the macro breakdown.

Originally Posted by JHZR2
This isnt new news unfortunately.

+1

Originally Posted by skyactiv
This is possibly a better alternative:

[Linked Image]

This is what I go for! MMM MMM MMM Delish!

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
I just bought some Pure Protein bars and was eating one while I read the lab results. Apparently the Pure Protein bar they tested had high level of lead in it.

I didn't see where they listed the actual meaured level for each bar, but just listed the bars that exceeded the CA Prop 65 defined limit. Who knows by how much they exceeded the limit by, I didn't see it listed.

Quote:
"Of the 20 bars in the US tested, four of the products exceed California Prop 65 safe daily intake limits for lead (0.5mcg) in one serving, specifically PowerBar 20g, Vega Sport, Simply Protein and Pure Protein Bar."

As a diabetic type 2, I have to watch all sugar and carb intake. The vast majority of protein bars are loaded with sugar and carbs. The stores also tend to mix protein and energy bars on the same shelf.

In my opinion the best way for a quick protein fix is a drink. Lots of whey protein and plant protein powders available today.

Regarding the fake sugars, in general they are not good for diabetics and long term I would be wary of consuming fake sugars.

Originally Posted by Dyusik

That was the old thinking.

Originally Posted by Zee09
I just got back from the store and didn't get any because they like to load them up with sugar.
Yuck!

For a sedentary lifestyle it's bad. But for easy on-the-go replacement meal bar after a workout or other strenuous activity, they're great. I tend to bring one or two on while hiking for a good mid-hike boost.

I don't know how old it is, but I put 0 emphasis on protein intake, and will often times end up with 100g or more in a day. I'm sure cells have no clue that it's not fashionable to send the excess protein to the TCA, and that happens. The end product is the same as from any fuel source, with an additional by product. Unused fuel isn't burned up at a higher rate, it is stored. I'd love to hear how the old thinking is wrong, reason for my dwelling on this site.

I keep a box of chocolate brownie Quest bars in the trunk, just in case. Nutritionally they seemed the most appealing to me and they taste okay. Grocery outlet sells them for 50 cents a bar or $6 for a box of 12 when they are one month pre-expiration date. I currently have ten boxes in my freezer.

I like the occasional Cliff Bar, but rarely eat for a snack, not unless I'm really dragging in energy. Recently found Larabar and love those. Way too much sugar for snacking but excellent energy bar while cycling IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back