Lab Says Viscosity of 11 is low.

Sorry I don't have capability of showing the entire report. Below are the primary numbers for the oil which was in the MB when I bought it a few months ago. According to Carfax the oil had been changed by the MB dealer shortly before it was sold and had about 4400 miles on it by time I bought the car. I listed it (an assumption) as being 5-40 when I sent the sample to Als. They reported the viscosity (cST 100) as being 11, and said the viscosity was low. Isn't a "11'' in a 30W range?

Additives (ppm)
Magnesium (Mg)
Calcium (Ca)
Barium (Ba)
Phosphorus (P)
Zinc (Zn)
Molybdenum (Mo)
Boron (B)

Physical Tests
Viscosity (cSt 100C)

Yes, 30 grade is 9.3-12.5 CSt, 11 is right in the middle of being a 30 grade. It may have been 30 grade to start with, or it may have been 5W40, if the car has been frequently short tripped there may have been fuel dilution, and consider most ACER C3 and A3/B4 oils that are Xw40 start out as barely a 40 grade so some mechanical shearing plus fuel dilution will put them down into the 30 grade range.

Yes, 30 grade is 9.3-12.5 CSt, 11 is right in the middle of being a 30 grade. It may have been 30 grade to start with, or it may have been 5W40, if the car has been frequently short tripped there may have been fuel dilution, and consider most ACER C3 and A3/B4 oils that are Xw40 start out as barely a 40 grade so some mechanical shearing plus fuel dilution will put them down into the 30 grade range.
Thanks Blufeb95. The report said there was no water or fuel dilution present. FWIW, I did change the oil; thats how I got the sample.

Back