KYB for Lexus?

When i replaced the original rear shocks on my celica the old shocks had Kayaba stamped on them along with toyota part numbers.

Turns out that outside of japan kayaba use the name kyb.

Originally Posted by slybunda
When i replaced the original rear shocks on my celica the old shocks had Kayaba stamped on them along with toyota part numbers.

Turns out that outside of japan kayaba use the name kyb.

Yes, they were initially sold in Europe as Kayaba too when they made their big push in the 1990's. But I think beginning 2000's they switch to KYB name.

Originally Posted by ford46guy
I replaced them on My GS 350. Same design as yours. All KYB the ride is great. Made in Japan. Guess who makes your original shocks? It is going to have large KYB/Toyota sticker on it.

It's been a few months since I did my rear brake pads, but I'm 99.99% sure that when I was under there, I saw Tokico and not KYB.

Also, I took my car to the shop today and they said they couldn't find KYB parts for the the rears, only the fronts. Had to go with OEM for the rears, which, frankly, works for me
smile.gif

EDIT: yes, appears that OEM is Tokico.

[Linked Image from i.ebayimg.com]

Last edited:
I would stay clear of KYB and as others have said some one stiffer and better quality brands.
If you are in doubt and the other brands are close to the OEMs price wise, you won't go wrong just slapping in the OEMs.
Its an expensive job not worth the dance in picking winners and loosers if you aren't sure - just put the OEM and call it a day.

Tokico is a very high quality OEM provider as you've seen. 20 years ago, if you wanted the best shock for towing and sway control, Tokico was the ticket.
KYB also makes several levels of shocks. Even on their lowest line I'd take them over Monroe.

Originally Posted by RoadDukie
Tokico is a very high quality OEM provider as you've seen. 20 years ago, if you wanted the best shock for towing and sway control, Tokico was the ticket.
KYB also makes several levels of shocks. Even on their lowest line I'd take them over Monroe.

Yes, absolutely agree that Tokico has proven itself in the long run for me. Lasting over 100k is a âœ”ï¸ in my book. The ride quality didn't really dramatically deteriorate until recently.

I used to sell Monroe parts and yeah, those things are never going near my vehicle.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Deontologist
Originally Posted by RoadDukie

Yes, absolutely agree that Tokico has proven itself in the long run for me. Lasting over 100k is a âœ”ï¸ in my book. The ride quality didn't really dramatically deteriorate until recently.

I used to sell Monroe parts and yeah, those things are never going near my vehicle.

My Lexus had a KYB OEM sticker.
Do you have the adjustable ride? I know the 90s Tbird SCs with AVS (probably the same system on the Lexus) had shocks made by Tokico. They are Tokico Illuminas.
I have the same lower bracket. Could be they switched suppliers for quality reasons too. At 100K one of my rears were weeping.

Last edited:
Back