Kumo tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is anyone running Kumo tires. I have an 850 Volvo Turbo wagon and have been running Kumo 205-55R-16, Ecsta Supra 712 VR speed rated tires and they have been great. The car runs straight and true, they hold pressure well and just feel good. They cost about $70 with road hazard and tax, each, installed, which is a lot cheaper than the Michelin's they replaced (half the price of MXV4+'s), and the Kumo's are lasting longer, too.

quote:

Originally posted by LarryL:
Is anyone running Kumo tires. I have an 850 Volvo Turbo wagon and have been running Kumo 205-55R-16, Ecsta Supra 712 VR speed rated tires and they have been great. The car runs straight and true, they hold pressure well and just feel good. They cost about $70 with road hazard and tax, each, installed, which is a lot cheaper than the Michelin's they replaced (half the price of MXV4+'s), and the Kumo's are lasting longer, too.

I put Kumho Supra 712s on my Corvette, They were vague handling crap tires. I took them back and got full credit towards some good tires. the Kumhos were only about 1/2 the price of what I replaced them with, but I wouldn't have kept them if they were free.

The Kumho MX tires do have good reputation on performance cars.

LarryL,

I've been running Kumho Venture's on my work vans for years with no complaints. They have been a great tire. I also run the Kumho 795 touring tire on my wifes 02 Honda CRV. My father-law runs the Kumho Escta 4 on his 2001 Camry. We all love these tires. They are half the price and well worth it.

I've been reading alot of very good comments on Kimho tires in general. The price seems to be the eye catcher/selling point of the tire and then once people drive them for a while they just love them,(the price just adds to the splender). No tire is perfect, and there will always be people that are less happy with some purchaces than other people. Such a good tire for the money seems to be the kicker here.

Kumho's are good for us "average" drivers. I've heard similar complaints as XS650 mentions on sport cars. I swapped out the Mich. MXV4 for Kumho ECSTA line, forgot the size, whatever is standard for 02 Accord sedan. The Mich's were just WAY over priced to replace, something in the neighborhood of 120 each....ouch. I'd read good comments from others on www.tirerack.com and decided to try them out. Almost a year now and not one complaint. My wife did say she noticed that she has better stopping power in the rain with the K's versus the Mich's. For what I would have paid for one set of Mich's, I can get two sets of K's DELIVERED AT MY HOUSE from tirerack.
First time I've ever purchased something so physically large on the internet, sight unseen, and must admit, it was a very easy experience. I highly recommend them.

Decided to try Kumho because of the price plus my son thinks it is cool since he is into the import tuner thing.

Have the ECSTA line on my Integra and have to say I am pleased with it. Will likely get another set in future.

I have 795 Touring Kumho's on both my Buick and my wifes Accord. I bought them because of the low price and good reviews at Tirerack. They are at least as good and probably better than the OEM tires that they replaced.

I have Kumho 711 (bottom-of-the-barrel) tires on my daily driver SL2. For $28 tires they are remarkably good. They handle well, and are good in the rain. I have a bit of a vibration on certain road surfaces, but nothing I cannot live with.

if you were ever to put kumho on a performance car that is sacraligious, unless your a grandma or something. kumho are not for people who think the roads is there personal race track like me. but yes if i would recommend these tires to anyone that takes it to point A to point B and not looking for anything special

i have kumho MX's on my galant, and Yokohama Advan A046's on the talon

Advans > MX's

given the price bracket for the mx's, i'm probably going to replace them with BFG T/A KDW-2's this time around. The Advans are a bit too rich for my blood @ 240/ea for 235/45/17

I think the KDW-2's are around $150-165 which is close to the range of the MX.

Just to clarify, it's not a terrible tire, but the breakaway is weird. Once it starts getting hot it gets really greasy and the predictability of the tire *really* suffers.

It's exponentially worse due to a 3350lb car (+ driver & such) and a non-ideal suspension.

For normal driving, the Ecsta series tires are quite good though. One of my friends is running some on his '94 Infiniti Q45 and likes them a lot.

quote:

Originally posted by Schmoe:
Anyone try out the Kumho's SUV or light duty truck tires????

My dad swears by them on his truck. He keeps telling to to stop wasting my money on BFGs.

By the way, he is cheap
wink.gif
, but he does get good wear out of them, and drives a lot on gravel and highway (5 miles of gravel, 30 miles of highway every day).

Brian

I have the Kumho 716's on two cars and have been very pleased with them so far. If you need an all-season tire, check them out.

quote:

My employer uses Kumho Venture HTs on thier delivery truck. Actually, I selected those tires for the truck(employer's quote: "We need new truck tires...somethin' cheap please"). And while I don't actually drive the truck, our driver's have never complained about the Kumhos. We're currently on our 2nd set of HTs. The first set lasted for about 45k miles of rough service.

quote:

Originally posted by tuong:
if you were ever to put kumho on a performance car that is sacraligious, unless your a grandma or something.

ummmm, Its a little known fact that Kumho makes the only performance all-season tire that meets the factory specs of the 2004> Audi S4 4.2ltr. That particular vehicle requires tire size 235/40R18 with a 95 load rating. The Kumho Ecsta ASX meets those exact specs(...no other all-season tire currently does). If my Grandma is ever in the market for an S4, she'd be happy to know that.
wink.gif

btw - I know several S4 owners driving on ASXs. Yes, they do drive aggressively and none of 'em are complainin'.

[ July 14, 2005, 05:09 PM: Message edited by: Brikhead ]

quote:

My company has three or four sets of the Kumho Venture tires. They aren't bad. They wear quickly, but still perform better than any other tire we've had. Not to mention they're cheaper. I noticed right away that they were quieter and smoother than others.

yea back to the kuhmo. i guess what i meant was the kuhmo escta and the 718 or what ever. i havnet heard of the knew asx or whatever. but ill look into it, since i am going to need new tires soon.
true kuhmo can make good tires like there race compound. but if i was to rephrase my comment. i meant if you were to put some kumho 712 on yoru s4, and drive it crazy that would make me wonder.
just like any brand, there are always bad tires and good tires.
basically i take back my generalization on kumho, i didnt classify which rating

I have Kumho ASX [all season ultra high performance] on my ZX2. Handling is great, but I'm not into competitive racing.
Great tire for daily driving . I need the all season rating because of snow.

How are the ASXs in good old Chicago winters anyway. I may consider them for my wife's minivan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back