Kumo tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did a little tire rack search on the ASX. Ill take back my take back comments on kuhmo tires. I seen some of the specs on the tires, and if i had an S4 I would not have these tires. I am a cornering kind of guy, and these tires supposidly dont corner well. The s4 could probably get away with it because it has 4WD.All i know is my friend with an S4 didnt have stock Kumho, he had some Michellin, but since he is spirited driver, He got some Toyo.
But yes Kumho are great for non spirited drivers, defineately not a tire I would take to the track

Kumho makes tires for all purposes. The MX is their ultimate street performance tire and is good at the track, while the 712 is more of a sport touring tire. They also have competition tires for track only.

I am what most people consider to be a "sprited" driver, and I love the Kumho 712. I've also run BFG Comp T/As and Hankook Ventus K104s. The Kumhos suit my driving style down to the ground. Their soft sidewalls make the handling a bit vague and lead to a sharp breakaway, but if you have a smooth driving style, they do fine. The Comp T/A was crap, pure and simple, while the K104 was a sharper tire, and more predictable at the limit, but the stiff sidewalls lead to unacceptable (to me) wandering and tracking. I'll probably try the SPT next time, which is supposed to be between the 712 and MX.

, i guess it is because I had bridgestone S03's. and those tires were amazing, I swear I felt I had R compound tires.
What it comes down to is, u get what you pay. The s03 will run around 160ish each tire and the kumho are less than 100 or around there. And it all comes down to what you want to pay. (and these tires wear out so fast) . I am sure Kumho are good tires. I didnt mean to put them down. I am even considering get R compound tires that are Kuhmo since they are such a good deal.
And in my opinion Nitto's are one of the worst tires
( am not trying to be consdescedning or boastful )

i pay for the quality, I am pretty certain S03 are one of the best street tires. its tread life is about 155 however. that is the downside. but i guarantee im not just paying for the name on that tire. they are The best in my opinion.

All I'm saying that, is if Kumho made a tire exactly as good as the S03, it would cost less. Thats what I mean by "paying for the name."

IMO, the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 is a better tire than the S03. 'Course, "Best" depends a lot on your tire size options.

If I were in the market for that level of tire, I'd still go with the Kumho MX, and put the money I saved into suspension mods. For that matter, I'd drop down to the 712 or SPT, and put even more into the suspension, something that does not wear as fast as a tire...

imo, since i am on my set of good year f1 gsde, they are not as good as the s03. u know what funny, i have never ever screech on my s03.
i went to the track on s03 and it was wonderful. then i went on my good years, and i swear i felt like i was swerving all over the place. i was screeching and the whole shabang. felt totally unsafe with them. i actually use a very bald set of s03 for the my track tires.
fyi it is a very false misconception that bald tires handle better than newer tires. but my bald s03 do handle better than my good years. maybe for slicks or are compound u MIGHT get better traction.
in conclusion, i respect your opionion. i wouldnt no recommend s03 because of the low tire wear.
I have been looking at tires that have decent tread wear and good traction.(which is impossible to find) if you guys know any other than the kumho please let me know. i been looking at potenza, gforce and maybe toyo

I vote for the MX as well. Had them and loved them. It was tough to take them off a couple months ago. They got a bit noisy for my taste. Loves to be thrashed around.

Now on Avon Tech M500, which is more of a touring tire that fits my needs better right now. Overall grip went down a wee bit, but it is coparable to the Goodyear F1, Toyo T1-S (which I had), and Potenza S03. These tires are all in the same leage and differences go down to personal taste.

I would say there are these tires, and there is the Kumho MX. It is not in the same class, IMHO. It will crank up the fun factor one notch I guarantee. This is coming from 2x Detroit Region SCCA Champ
wink.gif
Other tires in the same leage as the Kumho MX (but less civilized for a daily driver) are Falken Azenis RT-615 and Hankook Ventus R-S2.

How stiff are the MX's side walls? How quick is their steering response, say compared to the S03s?

I run the 712's on my Lowered and turbo'd Ford Focus. These tires do well on my 250 hp car in a straight line and in the twisties. I would like more stick, but since I am burning these up pretty quick I will have to consider other perfomance tires, but the Kuhmo's do the job for now.

kinda off topic, but when a person should talk about a tire and a competeting tire. i think it would be important to state whether that person commenting has tried both tires. I dont think its a sound argument when a person claims that another tire is better unless that person has personally or knows of a person to have tried both tires. I am not saying anyone here has done so. But i question some peoples response. especially if they claim that a certain tire which is the cream of the crop tire, best of the best tire, the hybrid of them all is not as good as another.
so please state why u thnk a tire is better and give some credentials to the reader to let us know that you have experience.

blatantly
offtopic.gif

Would a person who has to move big ol' Kumho tires around a warehouse be a "Kumho wrestler?"

Had the "sport truck" KUMHO Ecsta STZ in 255/65-16 on our 2001 Jeep for over 40m miles. Couldn't have been more pleased. (Have posted before on this; plus several posts on Tire Rack).

quote:

Originally posted by ccs2k1:
How stiff are the MX's side walls? How quick is their steering response, say compared to the S03s?

I haven't driven the S-03, mainly because I think they are overpriced and heavy. The way I look at it, you can get quicker turn in, at the price of added weight, harsher ride, and more $$. Whereas the ECSTA MX has a better ride, is 3 lbs lighter, quieter and less expensive. By the time it starts to make a peep, it is time to replace it anyway. That is typical in the MAX performance market, you have to talk the talk, and walk the walk. No wannabes allowed to roll on the ECSTA MX
tongue.gif

If money is no issue, go for the S-03 and other overpriced options out there (Goodyear F1), otherwise, the Avon Tech M500 is the tire to have in the Ultra-High Performance (DOT ~280), and the Kumho ECSTA MX/Hankook/Falken variety for the MAX Performance category (DOT ~200).

quote:

Originally posted by VelociRacer:

quote:

Originally posted by ccs2k1:

I haven't driven the S-03, mainly because I think they are overpriced and heavy. The way I look at it, you can get quicker turn in, at the price of added weight, harsher ride, and more $$. Whereas the ECSTA MX has a better ride, is 3 lbs lighter, quieter and less expensive. By the time it starts to make a peep, it is time to replace it anyway. That is typical in the MAX performance market, you have to talk the talk, and walk the walk. No wannabes allowed to roll on the ECSTA MX
tongue.gif

If money is no issue, go for the S-03 and other overpriced options out there (Goodyear F1), otherwise, the Avon Tech M500 is the tire to have in the Ultra-High Performance (DOT ~280), and the Kumho ECSTA MX/Hankook/Falken variety for the MAX Performance category (DOT ~200).

I haven't gotten to drive the S03's, but the MX's sidewalls are soggy and unpredictable, especially when hot (they grease up and things get hairy very quickly).

Frankly, once they start to wear down, even the yokohama Advan's on my other car seem quieter- not to mention a vastly superior turn in, traction and cornering stability.

advans

MX's

Of course, the second car is 100lbs heavier than the first, though it has better suspension (even though the red car has poly bushings in the front).

I'm probably going to try something in the price range or cheaper for the galant next time. As happy as i have been with the MX's i'm considering trying the $95 Dunlops that my buddy has on his wife's turbo volvo- they seem to be about the same as the MX's at a much, much lower price.

I'm also going to be moving from 225/50/16 to 235/45/17 (or even 245/40/17). Wide tires are definitely super. Then i'll just get some 15x6.5 wheels for some snow/studs so i can go ice rallying this winter.
wink.gif
All seasons are worthless.
tongue.gif

Hey are those the Advan Neova? Well, with one 16" size and NONE in 15", no wonder I haven't heard of them. You have to look at those who provide 15", even 14" & 13" (most popular sizes for Solo racing).

quote:

Originally posted by tuong:
comparing s03 to kuhmos are like comparing BMW M3 to a honda prelude

I disagree, try both and be the judge. You seem to be brainwashed by the endless and stupid Bridgestone advertising, the main reason why they are so expensive.

Kumho is a major sponsor for SCCA Solo racing (amateur), Bridgestone's fame comes from race tires you can't even buy for your street car. With Kumho, you can. It is word of mouth. Same with Hankook and Falken's Max-performance street tires.

Besides, I would take a Prelude anyday over an over-engineered M3, a ticking mechnaical timebomb
tongue.gif
Ever heard of early M3 engines blowing up for no reason? Yikes.

PS. I don't care much about the Kumho MX, when I got them 2 years ago, they sold for $72/tire. Now they are nearly $100
freak2.gif
Hardly a bargain anymore. I like to jump on tires before they become famous, that's why I drive on a set of Avon Tech M500 which went from $69 (when I bought them this spring) to $74.

Anyhow, people interested in Max-performance are still better off with a Hankook R-S2 ($80/tire) or Falken RT-615 (~$100/tire) than the Advan Neova ($200/tire), especially if you compete, which means you'll have to buy a set EVERY YEAR. I don't have that kind of money, but that's just me.

[ July 27, 2005, 12:05 PM: Message edited by: VelociRacer ]

u guys make me laugh. i actually have tried both tires guys. my gf had mx on her kuhmos and i had so3. when i go to the track like laguna seca i drive around the track on s03 spirtly and have never heard these tires squeak. i had the best time on them.
when I drove around with my good years gsd3 my tires sqeek and i have to ease off. and i feel like in swerving side to side. i have tapes of both my events. I have way better time with my s03.
when i drive my gf kumho i barely take that **** hard and i would be hearing sqeeking left and right. and some swerving.
i mean im not and expert but i thinkt hat screeching is not good? am i right? amd i right to think that the s03 are amazing tires becasue they handle so well? Am i being brainwash or am i just doing some bad testing. OH and for the hankook this other chick at the tracks had them and she hated them. she said she had s03 and these tires (hankook) are ****. These are just my experience.
thanks for taking that prelude over the m3. that made me laugh.
as for the scca, are u sure they are not talking about race compound tires. because yes race compound is another league. can not compare a race compound tires to s03.andi digress, i would say toyo make great r compound tires.

here's the problem with the prelude: (some tongue in cheek)

-

As for the advans, the ones i'm wearing are not Neova's. I'm on A046's which are Evo-specific tires. They are only available as 235/45/17, FWIW.

Part of the reason that some of those tiny wheels are popular for solo racing is tiny cars like miatas, and the fact that you can run massively wide wheels & tires and not rub. [shrug]

I like having wheels that i can actually fit brakes underneath.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back