Kumho "Tire Tips" says to overinflate for long trips & more...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

I must have purchased two dozen A2s. Nearly the best in snow, very quiet. I consider it a touchstone to compare others to. Now, I usually put them on other peoples cars and try new tires out on mine. Mom has them as well as MiL. I never had a complaint. A few years ago, one "reportedly" blew out on my wife's Quantum Syncro. The car was totaled, that cooled me off of Dunlop, but went back after considering how well they worked. Also, I have never heard a complaint about Kumho ASX, this coming from some real car guys whom I trust.

I had a sport A2 blowout on the rear of my 83 MB @ 65 MPH.

It was a day or two after a large snowstorm, so there is no saying that it wasnt due to something large in the road (I do know I hit a pothole before it happened), but all the same, nobody in my immediate family has EVER gotten a blowout before... so it was strange all the same. Ther MB was my highway car, so I was always triple sure of the pressure... Ill never be able to say if it was the tire's fault, perhaps, but just figured Id mention it.

I still really like the tires, and buy a lot of them.

JMH

FWIW, some of the tread patterns must be oriented a certain way for noise concerns, not necessarily driveability issues. Eagle RSA's have a "Mount this side out" stamp but can be run the other way. Also, I was always told that tires should be mounted with the DOT number on the outside (provided that there is only one DOT number stamped).

JHZR2, our blowout was on a new-ish tire. The sidewall popped out. The cops tried to prosecute my woman even though she said it blew out. The cop said the blowout was from her hitting the curb, even though there is no curb on that road. Case closed.

It flipped end over end,

quantum_totaled.jpg

quantum_trear.jpg

quantum_tside.jpg

Quote:

Bottgers I beg to differ. My Avon m550's run 3-ply poly sidewalls and 7-ply tread.

Look at a michelin, single ply sidewalls, 2-3 ply tread.
Then look at any Kumho...

Big difference in construction durability if you hit the tire hard.

Where are you getting this info?

Interesting about the SP A2 blown out. I had 8 SPA2 on my Integra over a 3 year period (total usage of 110k miles) and out of all 8, 2 are still used, 1 retired as cold spare, 3 blown out on highway at 90 mph, 1 had a sidewall cracked and fall apart (chicken nugget size hole), and 1 thrown away perfectly well for the fear of blown out, all 8 purchased at 2 JustTires, 1 local indy, and DiscountTire Direct (installed by Big O), over a 2 year period.

It seems like there is something going on with the sidewall, or maybe they don't handle abusive environment very well.

Quote:

"Extended driving, overinflate by 4psi"

...discuss among yourselves.

I believe that would be for "high speed" driving when approaching the maximum speed of the tire. I'm not finding this "4 psi" on the kumho web site. The only think I found at their site says that overinflation is dangerous.

Where did you get that ________ info? If some tire guy told you that he sold you a line. If you have a link post it.

The Tech M550 A/S is the Ultra High Performance All-Season tire member of AVON Tyres' family of Tech performance tires. The attractively priced Tech M550 A/S is designed to provide flexibility for the drivers of sports cars, sports coupes and performance sedans by providing year-round traction, predictable handling and control in dry and wet road conditions, as well as in light snow.

On the outside, the Tech M550 A/S radials feature a silica-enhanced all-season tread compound molded into a directional tread design that features large independent tread blocks to provide stability on dry roads while its grooves help pump water and slush through the tire's footprint to increase hydroplaning resistance and foul weather traction. Lateral grooves and multiple sipes in each tread block increase the number of biting edges to enhance wet road and light snow traction.

On the inside, the Tech M550 A/S features twin steel belts reinforced by spirally wrapped nylon, along with a carcass that sandwiches a hard sidewall filler between polyester cord plies to help resist distortion at high speeds and while cornering.

Quote:

Bottgers I beg to differ. My Avon m550's run 3-ply poly sidewalls and 7-ply tread.

Look at a michelin, single ply sidewalls, 2-3 ply tread.
Then look at any Kumho...

Big difference in construction durability if you hit the tire hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back