Kubota TG1860G

I mow a few very large properties and one of them is extremely bumpy. I snapped all the hydro mounts on my zero turn bouncing across it and while it’s out of action waiting to be welded (I’ll get to it eventually) I picked up this Kubota lawn tractor with the cushion ride suspension. Makes for a much nicer ride over rough ground. So nice in fact I may not go back to the zero turn once it’s fixed. It purrs along with its liquid cooled Kawasaki and the power steering makes it a breeze to drive. Very stoutly built machine. I only wish it had cruise control and maybe a tad more power. 18hp powering a 1000lb machine and a 54” deck doesn’t leave much power left for thick grass. Anyone ever had one like this?
D855F61D-579C-4087-BB99-6DBF61F67B05.jpeg

I had one. It was a very reliable machine. Over 5+ years of ownership all I had to do was change fluids and sharpen the blade. I think I did replace the battery once. Our lot was level and the 18hp was adequate, even when I skipped a cutting because of rain or vacation plans. I would not characterize it as overpowered by any means though and would have to lower the speed cutting the thicker stuff. Cut quality was "meh". I am used to commercial ZTRs such as Exmarks, Walkers, Bobcats and they produce much better cuts. Wet grass was tough and left a lumpier discharge than I was used to so I'd "double cut" as needed. All in all, I'd buy one again if the price was right. And yes, it was a TG1860G (G for "gas")

I thought some of these had transmission issues.

Change the fluid. Use Kubota parts. Don’t beat on it or tow with it. Ride on.

I had one. It was a very reliable machine. Over 5+ years of ownership all I had to do was change fluids and sharpen the blade. I think I did replace the battery once. Our lot was level and the 18hp was adequate, even when I skipped a cutting because of rain or vacation plans. I would not characterize it as overpowered by any means though and would have to lower the speed cutting the thicker stuff. Cut quality was "meh". I am used to commercial ZTRs such as Exmarks, Walkers, Bobcats and they produce much better cuts. Wet grass was tough and left a lumpier discharge than I was used to so I'd "double cut" as needed. All in all, I'd buy one again if the price was right. And yes, it was a TG1860G (G for "gas")
So far I haven’t found the cut quality to be any worse than my 36” Wright Stander. It’s a pretty cavernous open deck design though so I can see how on some types of grass it might not look as nice.

What’s your thoughts on a Kawasaki engine? I’ve always been bias for Briggs and Stratton, anything else I don’t like lol. That’s a nice mower. I’m curious of the age looks pretty old. I never have liked zero turns lol. To me they aren’t as fun as regular riding mowers. I’ve got an older Craftsman and a newer John Deere that I love. Then have a Troy Bilt Bronco riding mower from 2004 that hasn’t ran since 2014.

What’s your thoughts on a Kawasaki engine? I’ve always been bias for Briggs and Stratton, anything else I don’t like lol. That’s a nice mower. I’m curious of the age looks pretty old. I never have liked zero turns lol. To me they aren’t as fun as regular riding mowers. I’ve got an older Craftsman and a newer John Deere that I love. Then have a Troy Bilt Bronco riding mower from 2004 that hasn’t ran since 2014.

I think it’s late 90s early 2000s. Only 500 hours though. Someone let it sit outside to fade a bit.

Personally I like Kawasaki over pretty well anything else for power equipment. They’re so common that parts are cheap and easy to find and they’re generally very reliable. Most of my mowers are powered by Kawasaki. I like Briggs as well but I try to avoid newer Kohler engines.

Zero turns are just so much faster and more productive that it’s really hard to justify a traditional riding mower as a pro. Time is money and I’ve found I can do a medium size lawn almost as fast with my 36” stand on as I can with this 54” tractor. The stander isn’t much faster in a straight line but it turns and maneuvers so much quicker. The tractor shines in large open areas that you can mow in a big loop continuously without having to stop and turn.

Last edited:
I think it’s late 90s early 2000s. Only 500 hours though. Someone let it sit outside to fade a bit.

Personally I like Kawasaki over pretty well anything else for power equipment. They’re so common that parts are cheap and easy to find and they’re generally very reliable. Most of my mowers are powered by Kawasaki. I like Briggs as well but I try to avoid newer Kohler engines.

Zero turns are just so much faster and more productive that it’s really hard to justify a traditional riding mower as a pro. Time is money and I’ve found I can do a medium size lawn almost as fast with my 36” stand on as I can with this 54” tractor. The stander isn’t much faster in a straight line but it turns and maneuvers so much quicker. The tractor shines in large open areas that you can mow in a big loop continuously without having to stop and turn.
That’s good to know. I’ve actually never seen a Kawasaki on anything at least not in stores probably have to go to a dealer to see one on one of the mowers or anything. I avoid Kohler if at all possible the last push mower we had with that yeah no… I haven’t seen a stander in awhile my neighbor does it for a living and has a sit on Husqvarna zero turn.

Back