Kubota Super UTD2 subbed for Permatran 821xl

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://lubricants.petro-canada.com/en-ca/brand/duratran
For the duratran line, the syn blend is a winter only tractor fluid so be careful just assuming its going to be better than their regular fluid. The duratran full synthetic is for year round, but still falls short of the regular duratran in the shearing tests, flash point. The regular duratran still has pretty decent cold flow, better than the Chevron THF1000 I was using before and I try not to start my tractor below -10C which is a pretty reasonable temp for any conventional fluids.

Originally Posted by Nacademus
Originally Posted by zeng
Super UDT2 KV@40C of 37 cSt is low'ish and IMHO, is not a suitable replacement for Permatran 821xl of much higher KV@40C of 57.6 cSt.

Hi Zeng,

So the SUDT2 would in turn be less viscous at or above operating temp than Permatran 821xl, right? Many people across quite a few forums remark about how mechanically similar the Massey Ferguson GC Series subcompact tractors are to the Kubota subcompacts. I've read that even a few parts interchange. I haven't checked, myself so this is all hearsay.

If the viscosity is lower, could that grenade the pump? I wasn't sure if viscosity relates directly with lubricity or not, but you may be onto something. Pump tolerances could be at play.

Yes, SUDT2 is less viscous and thus would aggravate the 'hot' and 'groaning' phenomena in relation to 821xl.
Typically inadequate MOFT oil film thickness could grenade a pump, hence it may be wise avoiding too low a viscosity for components protection.
LE power fluid 7500 suggested by Langanobob above may be considered for its specs though I'd personally replaced a 5W30 utto with a thicker GL5 gear oil with good results.

Last edited:
Thank you for the input, everyone.

It seems -this time- I will bite the bullet and travel a good ways to get the oil specifically named in my manual. I will snip the filter boxes to keep the labels, my receipt for the supplies, log my service date and hours, and keep them in my maintenance catalog for the tractor. I do this with basically everything I own.

For the time being, I suppose this will give me a little peace of mind that if something does happen to my equipment-regardless of origin, I won't be on any kind of hook for running oil that I can't easily prove the certification guarantee on and any warranty work should be approved smoothly. I have the 5 year powertrain warranty and just got the tractor September 28th of 2018.

I would like to revisit this topic, though. It annoys me to no end when manufacturers either bottle their own named maintenance items and sell them at premiums, or try to push an item they have dominion over as the best solution when there may actually be better options out there. My Cobalt SS/TC had a big Mobil 1 logo (read, "advertisement") on the oil cap. I used Mobil 1 in my vehicles anyways, but that stuff always annoyed the [censored] out of me.

It annoys me to no end when manufacturers either bottle their own named maintenance items and sell them at premiums, or try to push an item they have dominion over as the best solution when there may actually be better options out there.

It IS a very thin fence line to balance oneself on. I have personally witnessed some equipment failures due to "gross" negligence of wrong parts/supplies used: Years ago a cavitation ruined diesel engine because they used "car" coolant in it. A large excavator at a local CAT dealer getting an engine teardown due to a poor fitting aftermarket fuel filter. I've had a few aftermarket air filters seem to be "not right" regarding fitment. That my previous Kubota $35 hydraulic filter weighed about 3 times more than the $8 Wix replacement made me stick with the OEM choice.

Then, you go to a dealer and they are using some generic hytran fluid in their own shop. Makes you scratch your head. Respected member Jim Allen posted an analyses on a generic Tractor Supply Co. type tranny fluid that had low additive levels.

You made the same decision I would have. However, with my car for the first time ever I elected to use a multi-use transmission fluid based on experiences learned here vs. spending $20/qt. for OEM fluid. Go figure. Time will tell.......LOL.

You did good by getting the correct fluid since your machine is new and under warranty especially if what you needed was substantially thicker than UDT2.

Kubota does have mineral based UDT, but I'm not sure how that compares.

Best thing you can do for your tractor in the cold is to just let it warm up with the front end loader and three point (if there's an implement) on the ground. Makes the pump and engine work less IMO. A block heater will speed the process up too.

Originally Posted by doitmyself
It annoys me to no end when manufacturers either bottle their own named maintenance items and sell them at premiums, or try to push an item they have dominion over as the best solution when there may actually be better options out there.

It IS a very thin fence line to balance oneself on. I have personally witnessed some equipment failures due to "gross" negligence of wrong parts/supplies used: Years ago a cavitation ruined diesel engine because they used "car" coolant in it. A large excavator at a local CAT dealer getting an engine teardown due to a poor fitting aftermarket fuel filter. I've had a few aftermarket air filters seem to be "not right" regarding fitment. That my previous Kubota $35 hydraulic filter weighed about 3 times more than the $8 Wix replacement made me stick with the OEM choice.

Then, you go to a dealer and they are using some generic hytran fluid in their own shop. Makes you scratch your head. Respected member Jim Allen posted an analyses on a generic Tractor Supply Co. type tranny fluid that had low additive levels.

You made the same decision I would have. However, with my car for the first time ever I elected to use a multi-use transmission fluid based on experiences learned here vs. spending $20/qt. for OEM fluid. Go figure. Time will tell.......LOL.

I'll second the Kubota filter vs. the WIX. I have a few older Kubota G's with the Eaton 1100 powering the HST rear end. Kubota is $32 and weighs as much as a cannonball whereas the WIX is $4 and is like an empty beer can.

Last edited:
For oil filters on Kubota, I use Wix. For my BX2200 it is the Wix 51064, the identical filter for my Hyundai Elantra 2.0l. Curiously they both use the same battery too, a size 51R car battery. Last time I used a Wix hydraulic filter too. The newer Kubotas can use automotive parts for some of them. Sometimes the WIX filter is a bit larger than the OEM.

For hydraulic filter, air filter and fuel I generally buy the Kubota parts mail from Messicks which is the dealer I bought the tractor from. They have good prices on maintenance kits that include several filters. Having said that, if I had a full size Kubota I would just pay the $32 for the OEM part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back