Kubota Super UDT2 in manual car transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an old 91 Mitsubishi Eclipse with a manual transmission. Use to run GM synchromesh and it worked fine in cold temperatures. Running Pennzoil version and it does not shift worth crap when cold. I have been looking at synthetic options and it gets expensive to try and dump at $100+ a pop to find the correct oil. I can buy Kubota super UDT2 tractor hydraulic/trans fluid for about $26 a gallon. I know it is a good quality fluid that can be used in manual, GST, and HST transmissions so I figured it can't hurt anything to try. I am not convinced that the newer versions of syncromesh are any good and don't want to blow $100 to find out. There are some AC Delco versions out there but I am not sure they are the same.

Perry

how many quarts do you need?

My goto fluid would be redline

probably
MT-85 75W85

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...id-in-my-tracker-drive-train#Post2948915
I never did try the spirax in anything but my leaky front diff on my atv. I think fwd transmissions still have a hypoid geared diff? So tractor fluid wouldn't be recommended as its not GL-5 rated.
I use XT-M5-QS in the Focus, and it shifts pretty good cold down to about 10F. It was -18F this morning and it was "notchy" for a few miles... But not likely a problem in FL!

Originally Posted by perryg114
Use to run GM synchromesh and it worked fine in cold temperatures.
I can buy Kubota super UDT2 tractor hydraulic/trans fluid for about $26 a gallon. I know it is a good quality fluid that can be used in manual, GST, and HST transmissions so I figured it can't hurt anything to try.

And old drag racer's trick to keeping transmissions alive was to use International Harvester "Hy-Tran" - - which is probably very similar to Kubota UDT2

I'll bet it works just fine in your gearbox

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back