Kubota L2195A Snowblower gear oil

Looking at my manual for the gear reduction box and final drive box it says:
“Agma 5ep extreme pressure oil, SAE 80W90 gear oil or equivalent.”

But I used Mobil Delvac 1™ Gear Oil 75W-90 GL-5 sae 75/90 that I had laying around.

From what I gather 5ep is a thicker viscosity from other threads but then it says SAE 80W90 or equivalent.

Think the Delvac 1 is ok or should I try to find some AGMA5EP?

Just echoing what you already have said, 5EP does look to be substantially thicker than xxw90 gear oil. Odd it gives such a range.. Also odd it wants thicker gear lube in a snow blower that in theory will be used when it’s COLD.

Anyways, if the manual allows 80w90, I’d use what you have.

NAPA has Valvoline 5EP in 5 gal jugs but I don’t think you need that much. Lol.

Contacted the Kubota dealer and this is the product they stock for the snowblower.
70000-10500 qt 80-90W is EP. No specifications are given.

Looks like EP (extreme pressure) additives such as chlorine, sulphur, lithium, and molybdenum are added to lubricants to help them resist gear wear under high load conditions. Looks Similar to GL-5 rating.

Last edited:
I have been running the Mobil 1 75w-90 in my Kubota snow blower gearbox for 5+ years. I appreciate the low pour on cold winter engagements. Works fine, don't sweet it. Philip.

I have been running the Mobil 1 75w-90 in my Kubota snow blower gearbox for 5+ years. I appreciate the low pour on cold winter engagements. Works fine, don't sweet it. Philip.
That’s good to hear. Thanks.

Kind of an old thread but I thought I'd add this info.

I found a source for AGMA 5EP gear oil. Probably not needed as regular 80W-90 gear oil will work but just in case you want to stick with original factory fill. About $9.00 to ship a 1-quart bottle and I live in the same state as this company so if you live farther way it will probably cost more.

https://www.mcmaster.com/gear-oil/gear-oil/agma-viscosity-grade~5ep/

Attachments

• AGMA 5EP.jpg
    AGMA 5EP.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 19
UPDATE!

Getting ready for winter and checked both gearboxes and front gearbox the oil looks strange. Called my local Kubota dealer and parts department said they use Valvoline 80w90 with GL5 rating.
I’m wondering if the fluid looks like this because front gearbox doesn’t have a drain plug and you have to suck the fluid out so maybe mixing with a small amount of previous fluid? 1oz or less. Put in 12 ounces and removed 12 ounces.

The reduction gearbox fluid was clear.
Any ideas? I just refilled with Delvac 1 75W90.
Unsure what Kubota is using because no specs on their bottles.
Kubota #70000-10900 LUBE

Attachments

• IMG_5383.jpeg
    IMG_5383.jpeg
    95.7 KB · Views: 7
Back